New Russian owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvemygirls

5 Year Member
Hi, my name is Tina, I stumbled upon this forum while trying to find more information about why our new Russian tort seems to be only eating green leaf lettuce.
This is a great site and I'm already learning a lot more reading through the threads.
It makes me kind of sad, because I thought I had read a lot before we decided to purchase our Russian but there is so much contradictory info out there and it's hard to know what is the right information.

Anyway, we got our tort for a family Christmas present after reading up and figuring out what owning a tort would really entail. So far our kids LOVE him and I am head over heels over him. Our 5 yo seems to have named him Digger.

We got him at a pet store, we think he was wild caught and may be around 3 or 4 years old. We think he is a male based on his smaller size and bigger tail than his tank mate at the store.

We live in Seattle, WA so a cold damp,climate. We have him indoors during winter/spring but plan on outside days in summer and fall weather permitting. Right now he's in a tank :( which we knew wasn't the best choice, but my husband is in the process of building him a tortoise table. With a bigger hide and wood sides. I'm playing with the idea of either growing plants in his table or growing his food myself or some combination of both.

Right now he's in an Eco earth, coco husk combo substrate, but now I think maybe that's not the best choice. He's got a small water bowl, a food bowl and a log hide. We don't have any rocks, tiles or enough water for him to climb in. We were told (and read all over the place) that he would do better with regular baths and wouldn't need water or humidity in his home because he is a desert tort. Now I am questioning that information as well.

I feed him daily, give him a warm bath every 2 - 3 days. He always urinates the solid-ish substance and poos in the bath. He has never pooed in his cage but I've noticed 3 times now he's urinated in there when I wait 2 days in between baths. So I don't know if that means more baths so he does that in the water or less baths. can they get over-hydrated?

My main concern other than anxiously awaiting his bigger table to be finished, is his eating. We made up a list of foods to eat and avoid. I feel like I have a good handle on what he should be eating. However it seems he disagrees with me. I give him a broad leaf, store bought lettuce daily. I've given him green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce and now we're on kale. I give him spring mix baby greens every day along with something else, like carrots, cucumbers, cactus leaf, tomato. The only thing he'll eat is the green leaf lettuce and carrots. That's it. Last week we had red leaf lettuce, he'll eat the green part but when he gets to the red, he leaves it. This week he won't even touch the kale. He just ate his carrots and stopped. And he never touches anything from the spring miss lettuces.

I KNOW that he needs variety and that the best way to achieve that is a rotating variety of these plants mixed in with other seasonal things like dandelion, ect. But if he'll only eat green leaf, what do I do?
I did get a bag of hay, but since reading here I've figured out why he won't eat it since its the kaytee brand and apparently old and dry. I will look into a feed store for fresh grasses.

I would like to post some photos of him tomorrow. Because he is the most beautiful Russian. :) and because I would love some opinions on the health of his beak and nails and thoughts on if he really is a he.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here and learning from the wealth of knowledge here. I hope to be a lifelong tort owner and am already thinking when the husband retires from the military, I want to end up somewhere a little warmer so we can own a sulcata too and have a big ,beautiful outdoor enclosure!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tina:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I must say that I loved your introductory post! I'm captured by your enthusiasm. Way to go!!!

The only "right" way to care for a tortoise is the way that gives him what he wants and needs. So, yes, you will read contradictory methods of tortoise-keeping, but if it provides for the tortoise's needs, then that's just fine.

What you need to do with Digger, is feed him something from the "good" list. If he doesn't eat it, too bad. He won't starve himself. Tortoises are very good at realizing if they hold out eventually you are going to give him what he likes/prefers.

I'm glad you've decided to become one of our "family" members. I'm sure we're going to get along just fine!!!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Hello and welcome.

The foods are ok, but you will find that the shop have been feeding him lettuce and carrots,
But do get rid of the tomatos they have an ingredient that prohibits the absorption of calcium.
Also if its a male he will have a slight hook at the end of his tail.

If you go to our food page there is a list of foods, also try russian tortoise page.

Good luck

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This website http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is great for checking up what's good to feed - their plant database is very useful.

A healthy tortoise can survive for a couple of weeks or more without eating, so don't be afraid to dish out tough love while establishing a healthy diet for Digger. Tortoises are notoriously picky eaters and can be worse than any child when holding out for their favourite things to eat. Stand your ground; you're in charge! :)

Tortoises do need to be properly hydrated. A daily soak for 20 minutes in shallow, warm (not hot) water encourages them to drink and to wee and poo. Do it in the morning before he's warmed up properly and there'll be fewer escape attempts and also do it in a plastic box with high sides so your tort can't see out and decide the outside world need exploration. Change the water if it gets too cool or disgusting during the soak.

Some tortoises, Russians have a reputation in this area, resist baths more than others... but they do get used to it. Joe loves his bath, but maybe that's because I always feed him straight after!

Avoid the cheap standard green lettuces for feeding as they have limited nutritional value and fibre and can give your tortoise the runs. Romaine, little gem and red gem or bags of mixed leaf salads are better when you do feed lettuce.

Don't be afraid of feeding soaked pellets a couple of days a week, especially in winter when weed supplies aren't good.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Welcome to the forum!

I love seeing people from the PNW. I grew up on the coast of Washington, right on a bay and an hour from the ocean itself. Talk about wet!! It was a surprise if the sun shined ONCE between September and about April/May. Lol! I also happened to be living there through my first year owning tortoises. The climate isn't too bad for it--Russians are very cold-tolerant, probably the best Tortoise species for PNW living, and he'll love any outdoor time you can give him. I would take mine out any day that the sun peeked through the clouds, and any day that was "warm" even if there was no sunlight (my only real rule was no outside time under about 65F, maybe 60 if the sun is really shining and the ground temp gun's in a reasonable range, and avoid the rainy days unless it's 70+... The latter didn't happen often, lol). Even on cloudy days, outdoor time was definitely appreciated by my torts. I'm actually gearing up to move back (I know--I must be nuts--but I still prefer rain to snow!), and plan to continue with my old "outdoor time" regime for my Russians.

As far as the hay is concerned, Russians aren't so much grass-eaters to begin with, so don't be surprised if yours never takes to hay. You can still utilize it... If you wet down his food, chop up the hay into very fine pieces, and sprinkle it over the wet food (so it sticks), you can usually trick him into eating some.

Growing your own food, as well as having plants in the enclosure, are both good ideas. As for plants in the enclosure, Russians tend to be bull-dozers and total pigs. Don't be surprised if he mows down everything you put in there! I learned this lesson the hard way, twice... Putting potted plants in Russian enclosures, thinking it would be tall enough and heavy enough that they could just nibble on the trailing bits (the plants in question were a spider plant and a sedum plant)... Well, in both cases, it took the Russian (a different one for each plant) only a week or two to figure out it was food how to knock the pot over to get at the rest of it. Lol. Actually, that particular spider plant is still alive, surprisingly--that wasn't the last time it got eaten to the ground (the second time, I thought it'd be safe in a bearded dragon enclosure... Nope!).

If you do decide to do plants in the enclosure, there are a couple things you can try. First, you can try trailing plants in their own pots (like I had tried), only make sure the pots are wide and heavy enough that they can't tip them over. The other option would be to get a good seed mix (i.e. the Russian Tortoise seed mix at Carolina Pet Supply) and plant several trays with it. You keep one tray in the enclosure at all times while the rest grow out in a safe place, and cycle out the trays every few days or so depending on how fast he mutilates it. Reseed as needed, and, if you plant enough trays, you've now put both of your ideas to use: Growing your own food, and having plants in the enclosure!

One idea, if you do the trays, is to plant something different in each one. i.e., say you have 6-7 trays, you can plant the Russian mix in 3 of them, greens (i.e. lettuces, collards, turnips) in another, edible flowering plants in another, and a few good weeds like Dandelion and Plantain in another 1-2. That way you get your nice, cycling variety, while still growing all your own food. (Only thing is, you may have to make the containers considerably big/deep to give the bigger plants--i.e. the collards and turnips--and the dandelions enough room to develop roots and grow.)

I hope you find some of this helpful! I'm sorry for the miniature novel; I tend to be terribly long-winded. :p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good information from everyone.
Welcome to keeping Russian torts in the great PNW!
Your tort sounds healthy, so it is OK to use 'tough love'. Yvonne has had a good way of putting it: offer him a base of 'Spring Mix' and get one other green weekly (mustard, kale, endive, escarole, watercress, etc.). They tend to like colored foods, so Radicchio is popular. That is the most economical way to do it in the winter. Grow whatever weeds you can, both in trays, as Taylor suggests, and outside in their enclosure.
Don't feed him plain lettuce (other than the spring mix). He might refuse for awhile (I think some have lasted 3-4 weeks!), but just keep them hydrated, warm and in the nice tort table your husband is building.
Coir is a great substrate. Tends to stick to things. You can even mix in organic topsoil (no potting soil because of the little vermiculite pieces that they may eat), or fine orchid bark, or cypress mulch, or some combination. Lots of opinions on that :rolleyes:

A good powdered supplement;
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca...id=261&zenid=2c274436907370c09393ad73e98b7516 Go with the probiotics.

A nice source for Russian tort seed mix:
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=590 free shipping right now!

Keep us posted and we expect pics soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.