New RT need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

icicle

5 Year Member
I just got Igor as a Christmas present and I need a little help.
Right now I have him in a 67 quart Sterilite tub. and he has an infrared heat lamp in his basking spot during the day.

I plan on building him a 7'x2'X1' one and a half level pen or 7'x3''x1.5' two level pen.

Is there any thoughts on having a live pen, by that I mean live plants, flowers, grass, and a small watering hole.
Basically I want to have a fully self sustaining micro habitat.
Here is a picture of my RT:
_MG_0282.jpg

icicle

5 Year Member
It supposed to be food, looks like it mostly grass pellets.
I just got him some good Romaine lettuce to chow down, and he likes it.
uploading a video of him eating

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Icicle:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you're from? Your Russian tortoise would benefit from being able to eat growing plants, so that's a good idea! In the wild, they usually eat weeds but not much grass. During the winter, when my tortoises can't be outside, I usually feed Spring Mix with weeds added to it. They also will eat grape leaves, mulberry leaves, dandelion leaves,turnip greens. Any dark leafy greens from the grocery store. But if you feed too much romaine, they will start to refuse any other food. Its like candy to them.

Here's a link to a good care sheet: http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey Cody...I'm in Oregon welcome...Get Spring Mix and add dark leafy greens to it and he will love you for it...

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Congratulations on your new RT. I also suggest you check out russiantortoise.org, it will give you so much info! Really look into what kind of lights he needs. I like Powersun MVB's.

Live plants are a good idea, its not easy though. My spider plant is recovering from being in Oscars box. I think I'll rotate which plants are in there. Once torts realize they can eat them, they go fast!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
russiantortoise.org is a good website. For me, a guideline for feeding russians are greens and flowers (grown indoors or in a greenhouse) for the winter, and weeds and flowers in the summer. I would give them pellets ONLY once every few months or none at all. Same goes for fruit and other vegetables.
A good mix enjoyed by many species is grass pellets mixed with kale, dandelion, and maybe a hibiscus flower or two with a dash of calcium powder.
As for lighting, the new Megaray would be your best bet. I prefer the 100w externally ballasted. Another good choice would be the Exo-terra Solar Glo. Go with the 125w model as it's more efficient than the 160w.
If you want to decorate the enclosure, landscape it with lots of rocks and maybe a few branches. I also think the inclusion of flower pots will help. The best plant to use in a russian enclosure are opuntia cactus pads. You could also try some hibiscus, though the latter will get snacked on. Adding some artificial bushes will help, as it replicates the natural enviroment of this species. Plant some grass in pots as well, to give them a sense of security. Timothy hay gives them a burrowing medium and is recommended. I don't grow any weeds indoors, they don't thrive at all and usually die off within the first few days. Be aware, if you plant anything in the substrate, it's likely to get uprooted by the burrowing habits of this species.

icicle

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info.
I just want whats best for my little guy.
Will be going to a garden center to see about different flowers and seeds.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I have a russian also, about 6 months and she loves the spring mix and we also do mustard greens, kale, collard greens, turnip greens, green & red leaf lettuce. All of which I can get from the store. I did get some hibiscus & petunias last summer for her & she loved those! I found a seed mix on www.carolinapetsupply.com that is for russians. It grows right in the substrate in the indoor enclosure (only takes about a week to start growing) and she chows down on it, plus it looks more natural in there for her. I have found some great info on the russiantortoise.org website. Welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.