New RT mom with lots of learning to do

Tanha

Location (City and/or State)
PA, USA
I just rescued a Russian tortoise from a Facebook garage sale site and don't know a lot about them. I was told my new friend is around 4 years old, a female, and healthy. From what I've been reading it seems she's had the bare minimum in life. She only had a heat lamp, no uvb. Only fed once a week. The only substrate is hay. I'm trying to buy new things for her this week. How does she look to you all? Any tips? I've given her a little kale and romaine the last two days, but I didn't want to make her sick if she's used to eating once a week.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Well Tanha, I'd like to be one of the first to welcome you and Harriet to the TortoiseForum. We all, and mostly Harriet are thrilled you rescued her and then found the Forum to provide you with solid, real information and advice from active keepers of not just russian tortoises, but close to every type of tortoise or turtle that walks or swims this here planet we all share. Unfortunately for me, the pictures didn't post, but I can answer at the least some broad base care and question answering.
First, you have done an amazing thing taking Harriet into your life. By searching in the russian section of the forum you will find plenty of threads in regard to feeding her as well as the proper setup for keeping her healthy and happy. Broad-leafy greens are the preferred foods for them. Ideally organic weeds that are herbicide/pesticide free. Weeds such as dandelion and plantain that normal people that own no tortoises would pull from their garden bed at first sprouting, you will find you will try to encourage to grow as long into the fall/winter that you can. I'm on the west coast in Oregon and we have plenty of what I call, "hippy markets" full of these items. Anything you feed should be at least rinsed completely before being fed to Harriet. Don't worry about over feeding her at this time of her life. I'd feed her twice a day. Mornings and early afternoon if possible. Also you'll want to start a daily at first warm water soak. Use a container with a flat bottom and opaque sides, tall enough to keep her from being able to climb out. The water should be about 1/3 in depth the hight of the tortoises back. Soaking will do at least 2 things for her. 1) you guarantee that she is hydrated from both absorption and drinking and 2) the warm water with moving around will encourage her to umm, crap. When that happens, change the water, and continue soaking. Time should be a solid 20-30 minutes for the soak. Hope all this helps you, and keep asking questions and reading threads.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. Harriet must be so happy now that she is receiving good care. Her beak is too long. Try feeding her on a piece of slate which will help to wear it down.

Tanha

PA, USA
Welcome to the Forum. Harriet must be so happy now that she is receiving good care. Her beak is too long. Try feeding her on a piece of slate which will help to wear it down.

Thank you! Where would I find the slate and does it have a specific name or brand?

Tanha

PA, USA
Well Tanha, I'd like to be one of the first to welcome you and Harriet to the TortoiseForum. We all, and mostly Harriet are thrilled you rescued her and then found the Forum to provide you with solid, real information and advice from active keepers of not just russian tortoises, but close to every type of tortoise or turtle that walks or swims this here planet we all share. Unfortunately for me, the pictures didn't post, but I can answer at the least some broad base care and question answering.
First, you have done an amazing thing taking Harriet into your life. By searching in the russian section of the forum you will find plenty of threads in regard to feeding her as well as the proper setup for keeping her healthy and happy. Broad-leafy greens are the preferred foods for them. Ideally organic weeds that are herbicide/pesticide free. Weeds such as dandelion and plantain that normal people that own no tortoises would pull from their garden bed at first sprouting, you will find you will try to encourage to grow as long into the fall/winter that you can. I'm on the west coast in Oregon and we have plenty of what I call, "hippy markets" full of these items. Anything you feed should be at least rinsed completely before being fed to Harriet. Don't worry about over feeding her at this time of her life. I'd feed her twice a day. Mornings and early afternoon if possible. Also you'll want to start a daily at first warm water soak. Use a container with a flat bottom and opaque sides, tall enough to keep her from being able to climb out. The water should be about 1/3 in depth the hight of the tortoises back. Soaking will do at least 2 things for her. 1) you guarantee that she is hydrated from both absorption and drinking and 2) the warm water with moving around will encourage her to umm, crap. When that happens, change the water, and continue soaking. Time should be a solid 20-30 minutes for the soak. Hope all this helps you, and keep asking questions and reading threads.

Thank you for all the info! I'm not sure why you couldn't see the pictures. The poster below did. I don't know if you can see it bigger, but my profile pic is Harriet too.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The slate doesn't have to be a brand - just a flat piece of rock she can scrape her beak on. Leave a cuttlebone in her enclosure too. Her beak looks like it may need a trim before you'll have much luck with the slate and cuttlebone though. You can have a vet trim it or do it yourself if you're feeling confident.

Beak trim, lots of sunshine, and good food.

Tanha

PA, USA
The slate doesn't have to be a brand - just a flat piece of rock she can scrape her beak on. Leave a cuttlebone in her enclosure too. Her beak looks like it may need a trim before you'll have much luck with the slate and cuttlebone though. You can have a vet trim it or do it yourself if you're feeling confident.

Beak trim, lots of sunshine, and good food.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if any was okay, figured I'd ask in case there was something special or specific I was missing. I am definitely not confident so a vet will have to do it! Lol

AnimalLady

Welcome to the forum! Harriet is a beauty! I'm a new tort mom too, you're in good hands here. Everyone knows their stuff. :)

Tanha

PA, USA
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I don't know many people with tortoises so I'm on my own here in real life. It's nice to have a forum like this! We have an appointment Monday morning for a beak trim. It's a little out of the way travel wise, but I don't mind. They have a good rep around here. The receptionist was even telling me about her tortoises!

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Welcome, and kudos for rescuing a tortoise in need! I don't know much about Russian torts, but there are many knowledgable people here. Good luck with your new family member!

Tanha

PA, USA
Welcome, and kudos for rescuing a tortoise in need! I don't know much about Russian torts, but there are many knowledgable people here. Good luck with your new family member!

Thanks! I'm happy to be here and loving my new family member.