New possible acquisition this morning species ID?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Recently met a guy who runs a small turtle rescue here in my county. He has 4 small ponds on his property for different water turtles. He doesn't dig up eggs or do anything when he sees hatchlings, and the majority get eaten by critters he guesses. I went by this morning and found this little guy in his field. He's got a little damage to some scutes that kind of look like teeth marks. If he's native to GA I will consider releasing him. If not I can set him up in a 55 gallon.

@Markw84 What do you think he is

20180610_085725.jpg 20180610_085840.jpg 20180610_090711.jpg 20180610_090718.jpg 20180610_090725.jpg 20180610_090731.jpg 20180610_090756.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've already got this little guy to eat some turtle sticks. He might be a keeper.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Aahhh so the plot thickens then. I thought you were becoming like Jay and Dan and rescuing turtles. Lol. He is really cute and I love his colours. I'm with Moozillion on this one. That is if you are allowed to keep it. ( I hope so). [emoji16]

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I do rescue them from time to time. I'm a herper too, but I usually release everything I catch. You can usually find me any given weekend at a park, jumping in a lake to catch a Snake/turtle/frog etc, only to admire him for 5 minutes then let em go. It does make for some weird looks from some random family 20ft away having a picnic, but it makes me happy. This guy was found where I knew there was a large population of non native turtles, that's why I kept him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ok I'm keeping him. Didn't get the 55 setup today, still trying to figure out the logistics (the turtle room is starting to spill out into the hallway) So this is his temporary pad for a few days. It's not much but it's better than the cow pasture I found him in! If you look closely he's already comfortable enough to bask!

20180610_181237.jpg 20180610_181220.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sweet!! Glad to hear you're keeping him, and congrats on your new turtle.
Thanks, I've actually been looking for another tortoise, this guy was unexpected. I really don't have anymore room where I have all my critters now for one let alone two more enclosures. I have a full unfinished basement though, and today I've been contemplating moving everyone down there.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Thanks, I've actually been looking for another tortoise, this guy was unexpected. I really don't have anymore room where I have all my critters now for one let alone two more enclosures. I have a full unfinished basement though, and today I've been contemplating moving everyone down there.
You're welcome. That sounds like a good idea, if you end up getting another tortoise, can't wait to see pictures of him/her.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You're welcome. That sounds like a good idea, if you end up getting another tortoise, can't wait to see pictures of him/her.
I been looking for a ornate boxie with no luck so I'm expanding my options lately, and Repticon is coming back in July so I should have some pics soon.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I do rescue them from time to time. I'm a herper too, but I usually release everything I catch. You can usually find me any given weekend at a park, jumping in a lake to catch a Snake/turtle/frog etc, only to admire him for 5 minutes then let em go. It does make for some weird looks from some random family 20ft away having a picnic, but it makes me happy. This guy was found where I knew there was a large population of non native turtles, that's why I kept him.
I don't blame You, I would too. Although my hubby would probably divorce me. [emoji23]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Ok I'm keeping him. Didn't get the 55 setup today, still trying too figure out the logistics (the turtle room is starting to spill out into the hallway) So this is his temporary pad for a few days. It's not much but it's better than the cow pasture I found him in! If you look closely he's already comfortable enough to bask!
He looks so tiny. Lol. Good luck and have fun with the set up.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I set little man up with something a little more permanent today. I've done tanks my whole life so I decided to do something different this time. He should be ok in this for about a year. Named him "Snap".

20180615_112618.jpg 20180615_112611.jpg 20180615_112547.jpg 20180615_112433.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I set little man up with something a little more permanent today. I've done tanks my whole life so I decided to do something different this time. He should be ok in this for about a year. Named him "Snap".
That looks so cool. And he is so tiny. Just one question......do you think your substrate is wet enough? [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That looks so cool. And he is so tiny. Just one question......do you think your substrate is wet enough? [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Ya I think it might be! He won't be small to long that's for sure. It's too bad they don't have a miniature slider, they are cute when they are little.