Please help ID this species...

erickbredenkamp

Location (City and/or State)
Paarl, Western Cape, South Africa
Hi Everybody,

I need your help. We live in Paarl, South Africa. Our house borders a farm and I rescued a small tortoise from our dog - I suspect the tortoise came from the farm.

We took the tortoise to our local vet and he confirmed that the tortoise did not sustain serious injuries (only damage to the shell). He however also mentioned that the tortoise is not one of the local species we normally get in our area.

Is there anyone on the forum who could possibly help ID the tortoise and give us a few pointers on the habitat and climate that they would need.

The little guy has not been eating much or drinking any water... we have kept him inside for now. We will be building him a shelter outside (that will be protected from the dog) this weekend, but would like to be sure we can match his habitat...

Tx,
Erick

E5F687ED-34EF-489B-A08A-53A815AA393D.jpeg 9919AAE5-BFF0-4101-974B-A91FBD695653.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That is a Leopard Tortoise native to Africa.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Erick, and welcome to the Forum!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Based upon your location and the look of the tortoise it also should be a variety that was call Stigmochelys pardalis pardalis. The South African Leopard tortoise. By "those who decide those things" it was deemed not a valid subspecies, however it does stand apart in several traits. A very nice tortoise indeed!