Beak trim using clippers - worried about beak fracturing

stevenf625

5 Year Member
Dalmation tortoises beak is in need of trim but I worry about using nail clipper to do it because I have no sense of how brittle the beak may be.
My fear is that beak may split or fracture while clipping it despite seeing video like this that makes clipper trimming look easy

Am I being overly worried about this?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I am not an expert however I had to trim Ink's beak when it cracked..and Miss. Dexter Persimmons (Eastern Hermanns). I used nail clippers made for babies, from the dollar store. It takes a small amount off at a time. I also wrapped them in a towel so I could have more control. This worked for me.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Dalmation tortoises beak is in need of trim but I worry about using nail clipper to do it because I have no sense of how brittle the beak may be.
My fear is that beak may split or fracture while clipping it despite seeing video like this that makes clipper trimming look easy

Am I being overly worried about this?
If you take off very little bits at a time, you are less likely to have the beak fracture. This takes longer and takes patience, but is the safest way to do it with nail clippers.

Your other option is to use a rotary instrument such as a Dremel Moto-Tool which won't crack the beak, but which are more difficult to manipulate and can do other damage if you lose control of the tool while it is spinning around with an abrasive wheel on it. If you want it done with a rotary tool, I would recommend going to a vet who is experienced in their proper use.

stevenf625

5 Year Member
If you take off very little bits at a time, you are less likely to have the beak fracture. This takes longer and takes patience, but is the safest way to do it with nail clippers.

Your other option is to use a rotary instrument such as a Dremel Moto-Tool which won't crack the beak, but which are more difficult to manipulate and can do other damage if you lose control of the tool while it is spinning around with an abrasive wheel on it. If you want it done with a rotary tool, I would recommend going to a vet who is experienced in their proper use.
I have tried using a dremel several times but found it too difficult to do it that way. Always gave up.