New Owner

RedWingsFan

Just got my first Russian tortoise yesterday. Actually, my first tortoise ever. I joined because it is impossible to get rid of all the weeds in my yard and I want to make sure I keep her as safe as possible. Both neighbors have oleanders (we don't) which blow leaves and flowers into our yard. Yesterday, we yard vacuumed but more just blew in today :/ I have tortoise food and some collard greens (that I grew) out for her to eat. She is not too interested. She was a stray (found wandering) that was turned in to the local pound and I adopted her yesterday. She's about 4-4.5 inches in diameter. I've gotten some advice from friends who do tortoise rescues but I don't want to always bug them and this site looks really good and informative. She's ignored her burrow so far that we dug and seems to prefer munching on the spurge (which I read is toxic) and digging into the soil under our lemon tree. I've seen her eat about 2 spurge leaves today and two yesterday. I've seen some post on here that some tortoises eat spurge without issues. I've blocked off areas for her and she will be an outdoor tortoise until hibernation time. Any suggestions on how to get her interested in tortoise food/her burrow? Do tortoises know to avoid oleander/toxic plants or are they little vacuums???

Attachments

• tortoise 1.jpg
    tortoise 1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 14
  • tortoise 2.jpg
    tortoise 2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 13
  • tortoise 3.jpg
    tortoise 3.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 13

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Tort people don't mine talking torts , if it don't want to eat veggys until fall I wouldn't make her let her eat yard grass and weeds . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Be very careful of that oleander. It's quite toxic. spurge is high in oxalates, however it is a natural food for desert tortoises in the wild. I wouldn't worry about your tortoise eating it. If you have broad-leaf weeds growing in the tortoise yard, that's what they eat. You can try offering Spring Mix (packaged salad), but pick out most of the spinach. I have had good success getting them to eat Santa Barbara Mix (another packaged salad).

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here. Welcome.