FIRST TIME TORTOISE OWNER! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MellieFace

5 Year Member
What a relief to find a site like this! I purchased Minerva (my russian tortoise) this past Saturday and now it is Wednesday and I have some concerns. Hoping to get some answers from people who have had more experience with tortoises than myself because I have done some research but still find myself ignorant and worrisome.

For one, I know that tortoises like to burrow and that Minerva is adjusting, but she will bury her head either in substrate or underneath an object in her tank and will stay in the same position all day until I move her in order to clean or just to check on her.

I also haven't seen her eat anything. Her pellets, hay pellets, and vitamins just sit there. I tried to give her some fruit and lettuce yesterday and she just wasn't having it. Prior to that, I had given her some fresh vegetables and placed them in her food bowl along with her pellets and the powdered vitamins and it just sat there. It's frustrating because I am sure that she is scared, but at the same time I don't want her to get ill because she isn't eating.

Another thing is that I've noticed the humidity level in her tank is definitely off. It's between moderate to tropical, but I've read that Russian tortoises' natural habitats are in the desert, so I was wondering if someone could tell me how to lower the humidity level in her tank?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. =]

(Attached is a photo of her just moments after I put her in her new home)

Attachments

• Minerva.jpg
    Minerva.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 24

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Let me guess, Petco or Petsmart? Where in the country are you? Your climate will change some of the advice you get.
1. What you have there is a wild caught animal. It will take some time for her to adjust to her new surroundings. Are you sure its a her?
2. I would give her a warm soak in a small tub with shallow water every other day or so for two or three weeks, just to insure she's good and hydrated after her long journey, and until she gets comfortable and learns where her water bowl is.
3. Are you housing her indoors, outdoors, or both. I prefer both, or just outdoors for this species and age. She should have a large secure outdoor enclosure for fair weather and then you can bring her in at night for safety if you like. Be sure to offer lots of deep shade and cover for the oncoming summer heat.
4. Indoors you just need to provide a basking spot of about 100 degrees. The rest of the enclosure can fade to room temp and you won't need any night heat unless you live inside a refrigerator. :p
5. Diet should be mostly broadleaf weeds from a safe source and leafy greens. Hay pellets are not appropriate for this species. They are not grass eaters. Also look for grape leave, hibiscus leaves, mulberry leaves, and a whole host of edible flowering plants like gazania, pansies, nasturtiums, roses, etc. An occasional spineless opuntia pad is good too. Called "nopales" at any Mexican grocery store.

Good luck and ask lots and lots of questions.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
MellieFace said:
I also haven't seen her eat anything. Her pellets, hay pellets, and vitamins just sit there. I tried to give her some fruit and lettuce yesterday and she just wasn't having it. Prior to that, I had given her some fresh vegetables and placed them in her food bowl along with her pellets and the powdered vitamins and it just sat there. It's frustrating because I am sure that she is scared, but at the same time I don't want her to get ill because she isn't eating.

Another thing is that I've noticed the humidity level in her tank is definitely off. It's between moderate to tropical, but I've read that Russian tortoises' natural habitats are in the desert, so I was wondering if someone could tell me how to lower the humidity level in her tank?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. =]

(Attached is a photo of her just moments after I put her in her new home)
Hello and Welcome!

Can you tell us what temps you have in the enclosure? Basking spot? Warm side? Cool Side and Hide temps? Temps can play a big factor in their activities or lack of eating. Can you also tell us what type of lighting you are using.

Also that is a Russian tortoise and you should stay away from any fruit in their diet, stick to dark leafy greens. I would ditch the pellet food too. This link has a good list of what is ok for your little guy to eat.
http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm

Have you tried giving him a long soak yet? Remember to keep the water just slightly warmer then room temperature and not to much water so he doesn't drowned. After a long soak they get pretty hungry.

The more info you can provide the better the wonderful people on this site can help. Good luck, you new friend is a cutie.

Status
Not open for further replies.