New owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjo

5 Year Member
We are new owners of a 8 month sulcata and have questions. He loves to dig in his indoor enclosure and only does it by his water bowl is this ok? Also, he is kinda eating his poo, I don't think that is ok. We do keep food in his dish as much as possible but he still does... Is something wrong with that?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi danjo:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Tortoises are known to eat their poo. Think of it as recycling. They're getting more from it the second time around.

Sulcatas are great diggers. If you let him, he'll dig almost to china!!

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D check out the threads at the bottom of my post. They are all good reads for sulcata owners.

danjo

5 Year Member
Hey my name is Joseph and I am in Nebraska, and before you say any thing, it is AFRICA HOT here lol!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
danjo said:
Hey my name is Joseph and I am in Nebraska, and before you say any thing, it is AFRICA HOT here lol!

Yeah, maybe today and tomorrow, but let's re-visit this subject about January. :D

danjo

5 Year Member
My next question is, the substrate we use for him is "sand" (ground walnut shells) bought from petsmart. He is a messy eater as we only feed him fresh collard greens and green lead or romain lettuce. It is wet and gets all over his indoor enclosure and he still eats it. Is there a possibility that he could get "plugged" up from the substrate? And also he doesn't like the tortoise pellets we put in his food dish and he doesn't like tomatoes or raspberries and all he REALLY eats is the lettuce. Wat could we be doing wrong if that is all he eats? Cuz everywhere else tells me to feed him red berries and other veggies. We do use the calcium on all his food 2 to 3 times a week and then a vitamin powder 2 to 3 times a week as well.

danjo

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Yeah, maybe today and tomorrow, but let's re-visit this subject about January. :D

Lol, we will be keeping him in a temp controlled area and keeping the temp around 78 to 84 along with using tortoise safe heat pads and heat lamps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Walnut shells are one of the worst substrates you can use for a tortoise. Get rid of them immediately!!!!

You can use Bed-A-Beast (coconut coir), or any hardwood mulch, like cypress mulch.

Please read this thread. It will give you much, much more to choose from. You are doing your tortoise quite an injustice by only offering the few choices you are:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ed-Greeks-Russians-Sulcatas-etc#axzz1zK4n8Tk4

Status
Not open for further replies.