New sulcata owner

Cloverhand

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, Harrisburg area
Hey, brand new to this forum and a pretty new sulcata owner. I have a hatchling that I got in March and I thought I had done a lot of research before, turns out I had not. So I have learned a lot very quickly. He weighed 37gms when I got him back in March and has since gains a bit of weight ans is 57gms currently. His enclosure is at around 50% to 60% humidity and he has a range of temperatures, the coolest area is the high 70° and his basking area is around 90°. He has been eating the very wrong diet of spring mix and romaine but I am working on remedying that currently since this was what the breeder suggested and had him on it is a struggle but we will get there. He does love nibbling grasses and leaves outdoors so with time. Bath time is his least favorite thing.

I am still learning a lot and working on making changes to correct things that I was doing wrong. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Attachments

• 1496454935392.jpg
    1496454935392.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 1496454973622.jpg
    1496454973622.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 23

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and a Welcome. Your humidity and temps are too low. No lower then 80 temps day and night or he will get sick. The humidity needs to be pushed up to 80% and the basking should be 95-100.
As for diet, as much of a natural diet is best if he will eat it like the grass and leaves, weeds, etc

Cloverhand

I can easily increase the temperature in his basking area, but any suggestions on how to increase the overall temperature and humidity? I am already working on his diet, however he will refuse to eat for days if I do not give him some of what he is used to so it is currently a struggle. He throws large fits for being this tiny.

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Hi and welcome to the forum. First suggestion: get rid of the rocks; although most of those look too big to swallow; it can become a problem if they do; or possibly break their beak trying to bite one And use a larger dish they cannot see out of for soaking. Give them room to roam about a larger bowl; gives exercise to help expel waster products during the soak. You need to keep your substrate moist; something that holds humidity levels high. I suggest fine orchard bark or eco earth (coconut coir). Can't tell if that is what you are using in picture. But it needs to be moistened. What kind of lights are you using for UVs; and what is your heat source? If you go to the species category; and hit sulcata; there are some excellant guidelines for set ups; and other requirements for good health. Also if your young one is going outside to eat; remember at that age they dehydrate very quickly. Time limits outside; should be 30 minutes to an hour at that size. A warm water soak is recommended after any time outside. Also your watering dish should not also be used for feeding area. This type easily tips; and recommend a shallow bowl that can be sunk into the substrate to be used for water....and a flat rock of limestone or slate for a feeding area. Rubbing their beaks on such a structure while eating helps to keep it trimmed down. I am sure others will chime in with good suggestions.

eric joranson

I can easily increase the temperature in his basking area, but any suggestions on how to increase the overall temperature and humidity? I am already working on his diet, however he will refuse to eat for days if I do not give him some of what he is used to so it is currently a struggle. He throws large fits for being this tiny.
good source of heat are CHE (ceramic heat emitters); that give off heat with no light; which is needed to keep enclosure warm when the lights are off.; they need total darkness to get proper sleep. As for getting him to eat better; add small bits of grass, hay or weeds to what he really wants Small amounts at first; and as he begins to eat it; then add more with each feeding; reducing the store bought greens. Check the care sheets about closed enclosures; and they will direct you how to maintain heat and humidity levels are proper levels.

Cloverhand

It is coconut coir and I do spray it to keep it moist, I will try to keep a better eye on the humidity level and make sure it is enough when I am doing so. I have a Powersun uv heat lamp. I will have to swap out the rocks he is 100% unable to swallow them but i hadn't thought of other injuries they could cause. Thank you

eric joranson

It is coconut coir and I do spray it to keep it moist, I will try to keep a better eye on the humidity level and make sure it is enough when I am doing so. I have a Powersun uv heat lamp. I will have to swap out the rocks he is 100% unable to swallow them but i hadn't thought of other injuries they could cause. Thank you
so what do you use when you turn off the power sun at night? Thats where the CHE are needed.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You'll need to cover your enclosure to keep the humidity and heat in.