New owner

Hometreatment

i have had my totoise for three weeks and I' m worried he is hiding away all the time. He only comes out if I fetch him out. He is a very picky eater I have tried all different types of food and he will not eat much at all .
Temp is 35 and we have aUV light all across the totoise table.
Any ideas please, so worried!!!!!!

Hometreatment

Hi my totoise is a horsefield totoise. It is a baby not sure the age about 3 inch in diameter (very small) . 110 Fahrenheit not sure about humidity, how would we find out !

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
110 is a bit too warm. He might be trying to get away from the heat. What is your enclosure and substrate like? Check out the Russian Care Sheet on this site. Lots of helpful info. Don't know how to paste the link here. Sorry.

Hometreatment

Hi my totoise is a horsefield totoise. It is a baby not sure the age about 3 inch in diameter (very small) . 110 Fahrenheit not sure about humidity, how would we find out !
110 is a bit too warm. He might be trying to get away from the heat. What is your enclosure and substrate like? Check out the Russian Care Sheet on this site. Lots of helpful info. Don't know how to paste the link here. Sorry.

Hi
Thank you we are going to look into that. I think a 60 watt heat bulb is to high we are going to change it to a 40 watt heat bulb and spray the substrate.
Thanks for yr advice

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, 60watts should not be that hot! How close is it to the top layer of substrate?
I have a 60w floodlight, and it keeps the basking spot at a perfect 90 degrees, and the cool area at 75.
3'' is a few year old tortoise... where did you get him?
http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm
Tom care sheet on the top of the Russian Tortoise page is great.

Hometreatment

Wow, 60watts should not be that hot! How close is it to the top layer of substrate?
I have a 60w floodlight, and it keeps the basking spot at a perfect 90 degrees, and the cool area at 75.

hi
i think the basking spot bulb is to low so we are going to put it higher.
we got 'turbo' from a garden centre.
the cool area is 75. we also sprayed an area to make it slightly damp so he can dig if he wants to.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Raising the light will certainly help the temp. Have soaked him? If not you might give that a try. I soak mine at least a couple of times a week. It might wake him up a bit. It's also the time of year that their little internal body clocks tell them it's time to hibernate so the could possibly have something to do with it. Maybe not though since its been so warm in his enclosure. Hmmmm. I'm just throwing ideas out there. A soaking will do him good one way or the other. Use a shallow pan with lukewarm water about the depth of where his top and bottom shells meet. You may already know that. Offer him food after the soak. Good luck. One of my Russians is a new rescue and she is also staying buried all the time. I've only had her for a week though and I think she wants to hibernate. My other Russian is very active so I'm hoping my new one "Honey" will come around. Let us know what happens. Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I agree, my russian slows down during the 'winter' time and though I don't hibernate, he usually stays buried and sleeps through most days in the winter during 'brumation'. He will also need a few weeks to settle in, and get used to his environments :D

Hometreatment

Raising the light will certainly help the temp. Have soaked him? If not you might give that a try. I soak mine at least a couple of times a week. It might wake him up a bit. It's also the time of year that their little internal body clocks tell them it's time to hibernate so the could possibly have something to do with it. Maybe not though since its been so warm in his enclosure. Hmmmm. I'm just throwing ideas out there. A soaking will do him good one way or the other. Use a shallow pan with lukewarm water about the depth of where his top and bottom shells meet. You may already know that. Offer him food after the soak. Good luck. One of my Russians is a new rescue and she is also staying buried all the time. I've only had her for a week though and I think she wants to hibernate. My other Russian is very active so I'm hoping my new one "Honey" will come around. Let us know what happens. Oh and welcome to the forum :)

hi thank you for advice i have already given him a soak, it worked well so i will try it again. i'm enjoying the forum as i'm new to keeping a totoise and welcome the advice thanks

Hometreatment

I agree, my russian slows down during the 'winter' time and though I don't hibernate, he usually stays buried and sleeps through most days in the winter during 'brumation'. He will also need a few weeks to settle in, and get used to his environments :D

hi thanks for the advice i will keep you informed what happens in the next few weeks.