New Owner-Nervous

PamWiyninger

Just got my 2 inch hatchling. TOOTER 3 days ago.
I've noticed labored breathing is what I would call it.Makes it whole body move..Normal ?
"He"eats and has passed dark is urine.
Just want to make sure the breathing is normal...So much conflicting info.
I decided to get some 1st Hand advise.
Thanks !
Pam from Oklahoma

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

They pump their legs and extend their throat during normal breathing. However, labored breathing can be a sign of respiratory infection too.

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?
What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve those temps?
What type of UV bulb are you using?

There is a lot of old, outdated, incorrect info circulating the web out there. These will help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Please ask lots of questions. We are all here because we were once in your shoes and we are eager to help.

PamWiyninger

Why is the skin of my tortise s neck dark ?
The ones at the pet store are light, blonde.
Toots is brown.
He is on a cypress mulch.Has mostly dark leaf lettuce as a diet. Dry alfalfa shake as well.
Thanks !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In order to tell if the dark skin means something other than normal, we'll need to see pictures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes the substrate will "stain" them and sometimes they get a sun tan. No joke. Exposure to real sunlight does darken their skin.

Your babies skin looks okay, but overall he looks a little dry and you are headed toward some pyramiding judging by the deep groove at the area of new growth.

We haven't seen you since your first posts back in July. If you want to discuss your set up and routine to keep things from getting worse we are happy to help. We're here to talk tortoises. :)

PamWiyninger

Thanks for your comments.
I do a soak every 10 days.
The basking is 50 watt.
Night heat 60 watt.
The environment stays at about 80 during the day. 70 at night.
There is a log hide at the cool end of the tank.
I don't post a lot. I have an elderly Mom in the house.
I make sure to handle Toot almost every day.
I speak & it stretches it head and is very active.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thanks for your comments.
I do a soak every 10 days.
The basking is 50 watt.
Night heat 60 watt.
The environment stays at about 80 during the day. 70 at night.
There is a log hide at the cool end of the tank.
I don't post a lot. I have an elderly Mom in the house.
I make sure to handle Toot almost every day.
I speak & it stretches it head and is very active.
Why aren't you soaking every day?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Babies shouldn't get under 80f...ever. And daily soaks in warm shallow water.You should get a digital thermometer (gun type and/or probe type) to check all four corners of habitat to make certain temps stay up. Humidity is important too. about 80% is perfect but only after you commit to constant high temps. Humidity and low temps can easily cause respiratory infections. Good luck. I know how difficult having an elderly person living with you can be at times. We had my mother - in-law here at home with dementia/Alzheimer's until she passed. Very busy and stressful towards the end. :(

PamWiyninger

I've read so many conflicting statements about soaking. It seems to be enjoyed.
Temps . Are the same way.Conflict I need to read more about the species and their natural environment.
Terestaf, my Mom is on the downhill. Here because I was taught, you dont get rid of things you love because they are old or sick.
She is an avid animal lover. Has 2 chihuahuas in her lap 22 hours a day.
Again I appreciate the replys. Thanks!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I've read so many conflicting statements about soaking. It seems to be enjoyed.
Temps . Are the same way.Conflict I need to read more about the species and their natural environment.
Terestaf, my Mom is on the downhill. Here because I was taught, you dont get rid of things you love because they are old or sick.
She is an avid animal lover. Has 2 chihuahuas in her lap 22 hours a day.
Again I appreciate the replys. Thanks!

Right here, on the forum, is where you need to read up. a lot of these people like @Tom and @yvonne and many more have 50 to 200, 300 Tortoises at a time. They have devoted their life to these animals and have read and read and read everything there is to know about them. These guys are actually rewriting the book on tortoise care...for instance, some of the conflicting information that you might have found is babies needing Humidity. In thier natural habitats the humidities recorded are low so how can babies have had humidity in the wild? here's the answer...as I understand it... humidity is recorded in this country are taken obviously in the air. babies naturally hide from predators. they dig down in the ground. they only come out to eat and for very short times. the humidity underground is much higher year round than out in the open dry air. so simple. It's been proven, by tom, through extensive tests with large groups of his babies that pyramiding is due to low humidity. now we know... but now we also know that high humidity and low temps cause RIs... :( people trying to keep their babies at higher humidity to keep their tortoises smooth has accidentally led to respiratory Infections because people don't realize that with high humidity the temperature automatically goes down.

I love it that you are in a position to take care of your mother. Some people are not in the position :( some people don't want to :/ I thought college would be the hardest thing that I would ever do in my life but I found out differently when I had my mother in law with Alzheimer's with us... it takes a lot of patience and a lot of hard work... it's a good thing that this forum is full of all the latest information on tortoise care so that you don't have to buy outdated books and you can learn from other peoples mistakes about what is harmful for your tortoise. and it's all here in one location for you. Good luck. enjoy the special little Moments you get with Your mom.

PS conflicting temperature information might be due to people not taking into account that the ground stays warm even after dark. in the early mornings when the ground is cooled down they come out to eat. While theyre eating the ground is warming up.

Last edited:

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Fyi...Bath info. Whether they like it or not( most do or tolerate it) doesn't matter. it's good for them. It hydrates them. in this way they receive fluids through both ends believe it or not. yes they are able to soak it up from that end too. Yuck. it's also good because it helps them go to the bathroom...The artificial heat they receive can dry them out so it doesn't hurt them. I soak my babies AT LEAST every other day. I try for every day but life gets in the way sometimes. I just use my kitchen sink. it's washable. I'm obviously not a germaphobe but I do believe in soap. lol
Think of it this way, we bathe our children (and our mothers) because it's good for them not because they like it. It's great if they do like it but if not we still push them towards the bathroom.... for my baby tortoise i use about an inch of warm water (about 90 degrees) For 10 minutes then I carefully add hot water to warm up the water a little bit again for another 10 minute soak. actually my avatar shows my two babies in my kitchen sink...lol

Last edited:

PamWiyninger

Fresh from a soak. I noticed he drank while soaking.
He is @ 20 weeks.
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your quick & helpful information.
Happy Weekend!

Attachments

• Toot 1171520wks.jpg
    Toot 1171520wks.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 10