Nervous new mom

GreciaGalgos

Hi
I received my new baby sully 2 days ago and it's the cutest. But I'm a little jumpy since this is my first time caring for a tortoise, so I was hoping I could get some advise.
I got him/her from my local zoo, it's 2 months old and measures about 2" inches.
He sleeps a lot and eats a lot, mostly grass, clovers and weeds from my garden (the other day he nibbled on a bougainvillea flower. Additionally I give cactus pads, cilantro, romaine lettuce and red lettuce (I will buy broussel sprouts and artichoke later) I was planning on some Timothy hay too and the exoterra tortoise diet (the store is fresh out of this)
He gets 1-1:30 hours of supervised garden exploring. A daily soak.
Right now he is on a plastic tub until I finish building his "closed chamber" Temperature in the day is 100 under the basking spot and 86 on the cool side. At night is 90 on the warm side and 80 on the cool side. He has 2 hides that never uses and a water dish, that never uses. I have him on orchid bark and I put some flat rocks that he loves climbing and basking on.

Points of concern:
He sleeps all day, except when he is outside (he is a little bulldozer then, and quite fast)
When he arrived his feces were literal water, now is a bit firmer(like gelatin)
He sleeps with his head hanging on the side or from a rock and his legs all spread out (is this normal? It's scary, makes him look like dead)
He won't use his hides (a plastic pot half burried.
And he doesn't voluntary soaks or drinks water out of the water bowl.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Before I move this to the Sulcata section, please straighten me out. You refer to your new tortoise as a "sully." But this is the leopard thread. Is your baby a sulcata or a leopard?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Babies sleep/hide a lot. In the real world, they are prey, so they stay out of sight as much as possible.

Sleeping with arm, legs and head extended helps them to absorb the heat. Quite normal for tortoises of all ages.

Soaking is usually something YOU have to do for the baby. They seldom get in the water on their own.

If you put him into his hide a few times, he will learn to go in by himself.

I wouldn't include Brussels sprouts or artichoke. This is not something a tortoise would normally eat. And save the hay until the baby gets to be about 3 years old. Actually hay will help to firm up the poop, but in order for a baby to eat it, you have to cut it into small pieces with the scissors and mix it in with other foods.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome. Sounds like you are on the right track. We love pics. Babies won't eat hay though. Fresh grass will help firm up the poops. I grow it in trays inside for babies in winter.

GreciaGalgos

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Before I move this to the Sulcata section, please straighten me out. You refer to your new tortoise as a "sully." But this is the leopard thread. Is your baby a sulcata or a leopard?

Oh, Im sorry, I guess I posted on the wrong thread D: that is what happens when I try to post things via phone oops. But yeah, it is a Sulcata not a Leopard

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
You stated above that he nibbled on a bougainvillea flower. I think bougainvillea is poisonous? Anybody know for sure?

GreciaGalgos

Babies sleep/hide a lot. In the real world, they are prey, so they stay out of sight as much as possible.

Sleeping with arm, legs and head extended helps them to absorb the heat. Quite normal for tortoises of all ages.

Soaking is usually something YOU have to do for the baby. They seldom get in the water on their own.

If you put him into his hide a few times, he will learn to go in by himself.

I wouldn't include Brussels sprouts or artichoke. This is not something a tortoise would normally eat. And save the hay until the baby gets to be about 3 years old. Actually hay will help to firm up the poop, but in order for a baby to eat it, you have to cut it into small pieces with the scissors and mix it in with other foods.

Ok, so, it is normal that his poop is a bit on the runny side? Is much better now due to grass I guess. I'll try giving him some nicely chopped hay then, if he doesn't like it I'll try again in a few years. Thanks

GreciaGalgos

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you are on the right track. We love pics. Babies won't eat hay though. Fresh grass will help firm up the poops. I grow it in trays inside for babies in winter.

Fortunately where I live grass grows all year long.
Here he is. Exploring the "tall" grasses

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

Alaskamike

South Florida
You stated above that he nibbled on a bougainvillea flower. I think bougainvillea is poisonous? Anybody know for sure?
Yes. Not good
I remove all droppings from bougainvillea of my deck if a tort is " visiting ".
They are attracted to the bright colors

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My whole back privacy fence is covered in the stuff. My tortoises DO tend to gravitate towards it, but I've never let them near it. I was more worried about the thorns. I didn't know it was dangerous to eat. Thanks.

GreciaGalgos

Yes. Not good
I remove all droppings from bougainvillea of my deck if a tort is " visiting ".
They are attracted to the bright colors

Oh no, I thought you only had to keep them away from the bark itself, didn't know the leafs and flowers were bad too. I'll have to rake the garden before letting my baby out then. Thank you very much.
Fortunately he hasn't touched any flower or leaf since then, I think he didn't like the flavor, or maybe realized those are bad because now he steps on the flowers but won't try to eat them. Any way, I'll play on the safe side and keep them away from him.

GreciaGalgos

Yes, I have, those are great. It's a bit difficult to follow word by word though. I live in Mexico in a small town and some things are really hard to find here (translation is also a bit messy sometimes) but I'm trying my best :D

GreciaGalgos

My whole back privacy fence is covered in the stuff. My tortoises DO tend to gravitate towards it, but I've never let them near it. I was more worried about the thorns. I didn't know it was dangerous to eat. Thanks.

Mine too :(
Those plants are very pretty but leaves are a pain to keep from the garden and now that I know they are not safe for my tort, I think I'm starting to lose some of my love for this particular plant.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, I have, those are great. It's a bit difficult to follow word by word though. I live in Mexico in a small town and some things are really hard to find here (translation is also a bit messy sometimes) but I'm trying my best :D
Your translation is fine.
If you have any questions , don't hesitate to ask, and I do speak a modicum of Spanish, too.