New owner in Devon, UK.

Kris24_buckers

Location (City and/or State)
Devon, UK
Hello everyone,
I have recently been looking into Tortoise keeping and finally decided to purchase 2 Hermann's. One for each of my daughters (or me and the wife ).
We've called them Chase & Rubble and they are Dec' 12 hatchlings.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I think I've done as much research as possible prior to purchasing my two little additions, but there's so much contradicting information. But I think I'm all set after reading a lot of posts on this forum.

I have built an indoor tort table to fit in my dining room with my other furniture and I know eventually I will have to build a bigger one or two depending on how they get on together. But for now I'm happy with what I've made.
I'm using a sand and top soil mix substrate, a few rocks and mini cactus for decoration.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I've got an Arcadia 100w uv/heat bulb which produces basking temps of about 32-34c and ambient temps of around 26-29c.
But at night the temps are dropping to about 19-21c!
Do you think I need a night heat lamp of ceramic heat emitter for the night times?

Also, since I bought them. One keeps burying himself in the substrate and staying there for prolonged periods throughout the day. Is there anything wrong with him/her?

Next project is the outside run which will be about 4ft x 14ft when finished with a sectioned hinged mesh lid to keep out pesky cats and birds etc.

Another final question, this run will be about 15ft away from a willow tree which sheds it's leaves quite a lot, are these leaves dangerous to the torts if they fall into the enclosure?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello and welcome! Lovely torts you have. :) congratulations!

This care sheet should answer most of your questions: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet.63799/

As for the temp dropping, I'd recommend putting a cover on the enclosure and maybe having the set up in a warmer room altogether. And you're correct in thinking that you'll need to build another table. Tortoises should be housed separately as they're solitary animals and may get stressed easily by having to cope with each other, in confined spaces.

I'm not sure if the torts will eat the leaves from the willow, but if you're putting a screen on it to keep out predators, it might help keep out the leaves, too. And that'll be a nice size enclosure, even if you divide it in half.

The pellet substrate you're using is not safe for them. They might swallow a big piece of it with their food and choke and, when wet, it's a great medium for mould growth.

Is that sand you have there? I'd remove it as well sand is known to cause impaction when consumed. The rocks are good, but I'd add larger slabs, they hold a bit of heat when put under the heating lamp. What wattage are you using?

The experts should be along soon with more ideas and suggestions. Good luck!!

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Kris24_buckers

Devon, UK
Thanks for the reply, i will see how they get along for the moment and may even convert the bottom of the unit to a second enclosure. I made the enclosure specifically to fit in this part of the dining room/kitchen area as I have no where else inside the house for the table. So I cannot move it anywhere at the moment.

If the temps are on the low side then i need to find a way of making the table warmer for them at night time.
I am using an Arcadia d3 100watt bulb. Do I need a higher wattage bulb?

Re the substrate it's a 70-30 mix of soil to play sand. I will remove the pellets by the sleeping area and I was planning on building a house at that end which should keep them slightly warmer t night.

I will also add some larger rocks to help with heat retention.

Thanks

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
You're welcome. Sorry, I misread the part about the nighttime temp. That light should be fine, as long as the basking temp fluxes between 30-35°C. They know to move away if it gets too hot.

If you can replace the soil mix with just soil, it'll be much safer for them. I use 50-50 soil and peat moss mix. It hold moisture quite well.

Here's my Darwin eating her breakfast. I got the rocks from the river shore nearby. We're lucky to live in Tyndall limestone country. ;)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1407757419.517222.jpg

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
But at night the temps are dropping to about 19-21c!
Do you think I need a night heat lamp of ceramic heat emitter for the night times?
Hello! Those night temperatures aren't a problem at all. You don't need to take any measures there.
As Chris wrote here, night temps of 60°F (15.5°C) and even a bit lower are fine.

Kris24_buckers

Devon, UK
Thanks for the replies.
I'm glad about night time temps and I will keep an eye the basking temps and keep them between 30-35c.

I will also change out the substrate and replace with just soil, I only did sand as I read it quite a bit online and in forums stating it was ok.

Also, for the temps to get passed 30 I need the light about 10-12" away from the torts shells. Is this ok, or should I buy a higher wattage bulb and raise the lamp higher? It's just with the lamp so low it doesn't light much of the rest of the table.

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Welcome to the forum! Im from Devon too and have 2 hermanns. I would recommend coco coir for substrate. You can get it from pets at home 2 for £5 :)

ziggythetort

Welcome. I'm in Scotland.

I learned loads on this forum. I also changed from soil and sand to coco coir after my hermanns got a wee eye infection from sand in his eye.

Good luck with everything. You can only try things out and see what works for your tort. There are often conflicting opinions and advice but after a few months you can work out what your tort likes and doesn't.

I just discovered a great eBay shop too... Shelled warriors, loads of seeds for growing your own weeds and plants plus loads more.

Good luck from Laura and ziggy :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408345924.155607.jpg