New outside pen and will not eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
I put up a dog kennel of my two redfoots. They have 2 flat rocks, a water bowl for soaking or drinking. they have a dog that they can go in or out. the kennel is 7.5 by 7.5 by 4 feet h. So they have been out side for 3 weeks. No matter what food food i feed them or where i put it they don't seem to eat. they are not cold. So is there and thing i can do? and no i can't post a picture of the kennel. I don't have a camrea nor do i know how.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
ok when you say they are not to cold it would be good to know what part of the country you are from.
did they eat fine before you put them in the new enclosure? What temp. does it get at night? here in IL were I live I have been bringing in my red foots at night because it has been getting down to 60 degrees.
Have you changed there diet and what were they eating before the new enclosure.
Probably has nothing to do with not eating but mine love to dig under a log and hide in half hollowed out logs that are in there enclosure. Also I always keep mine were they can not see through there enclosure. If your kennel is chain link I would put something at least 1 foot tall around the chain link so they cannot see through there again probably not something that would keep them from eating but might be putting some stress on them. Also how long have you had your torts. More information from you will help others to give you some ideas as why they may not be eating.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yes, like Oscar said, the Redfoot experts can give you a better idea as to what's going on.

Are they otherwise active? Or is it that they both don't eat or move?

wildponey21

5 Year Member
I live rochester new york and i think is 75 or 80 right yesterday it was 84 out. well before i put them out they were in side in my room and they has a 100 wat heat lamp and a uvb light. They would eat all there food. i wouldalso feed them at night before i would go to bed they would it all. i know your not sopost feed them twice a day but i did and do if they eat. I have been liveing them out over night as long as it is 60 or warmer at night. the food is still the same notting new . some fruits and greens and tort food. they could see out of the pen when they were in side. yes it is chain link. I have them 9 monuths.

also they are very active

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
So are they active and walking around when they are outside? What kind of UV light do you have indoors? Is it coil bulb or a florescent tube? What is the "tort food" that you are giving them?

wildponey21

5 Year Member
when they are out side they run all over the place they loveit outside. They had /have a cole blub or if they are in the table they have mvb. they have the new red mazuri food and the mazuri tort food. they have all kids of greens and cactus pads

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tabatha:

What is planted in the dog kennel? Maybe they're grazing??

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
How often do they eat Mazuri and Red tortoise food? Sometimes tortoises can get so used to a specific food that they start avoiding the other good stuff. If they are active and moving around like normal they are probably being just picky. Maybe some redfoot owners will know a bit more on their activity then I do.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
there is just plan grass in the kennel like any yard has. thery only get the mazuri and the red tort a few times a month. most there diet is dark greens. Theya differnt kind every week

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Try turning the sprinkler on late in the evening. It always puts mine in the mood for food and hanky panky.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
For them to be active and moving around they don't seem starved...so they're getting their food SOMEWHERE. You might just have to figure out where that somewhere is....

Status
Not open for further replies.