COLD in Miami / need some help

Lorielei2001

Location (City and/or State)
Miami FL
Hi Tort Family

well my African Sulcata TUGIE is 5 year old and since it's been very cold in Miami, I went out and got a large Dog
Kennel (for a 100 pd dog) and I've been bringing Tugie inside my house for about 3 nights now..

Weather here in Miami got cool - during nights can fall from 67 down to 55 degrees and day temps have been 68 and low 60's today.. Tugie is not happy, but has curled up in kennel (I put a soft towel in kennel for him and covered him (his shell) with a little soft blanket.

He did not eat yesterday and did not want out of the kennel.. Today, I left him in my house in the kennel cause it was too cold for him to be on patio in the kennel - when I get home from work I will see if he wants to get out of kennel and eat?

He is awake and looks at me? Just wondering if he is OK not to eat for a couple of days or when will he come around?

concerned...

Lori

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He wont eat or be able to digest anything if his body core temp is below 80 degrees.
My Redfoot have all also not eaten in a couple of days.
I'm in Broward county.
Relax. It wont last.
You could get a light and place it over him for some warmth. As fancy as a ceramic heat emitter or mercury vapor to a common 75 watt house bulb.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
he needs to be warm. A towel won't help since they don't generate their own body heat.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't panic.Torts tend to lose appetite in Winter.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
The warmth is needed , but a Sully that age may not eat on a daily basis especially if he isn't being very active ! :)

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
You should check with Tom but I have put my girl (just turned 3 and will be wintering in the house as long as possible) in an extra bedroom with a radiator and a misting humidifier for times when she is not sunning in the livingroom with me or feeding her face in the kitchen. She is actually quite curious and positively social for a Sulcata. Good luck with keeping things tropical in Miami.