New outdoor enclosure, wondering if she can stand the night

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts

I recently made my snake eastern box turtle a larger outdoor enclosure and since i live in Massachusetts I'd like to leave her outside for the summer. Today has been 70° with some rain and the forecast for tonight is 50s but dropping to 43° in the early morning hours (3am-5am) The enclosure gets direct sunlight in the early morning til noon so she wouldn't be cold for long.

The enclosure has a big burrow and a log tunnel to escape from the rain and sun. I planted some hastas and random crab grass I've found in the woods and a little pond in the corner. I've covered the enclosure with sparrow netting and hooked it into little hooks around the edges.

Is this an acceptable over night enclosure for her? and are temperatures of 45° with possible rain too cold? Thank you!

mikeh

5 Year Member
I would say yes if there was good amount of forest litter and loose dirt at least 8" deep for her to easily burry and insulate herself few inches below surface. The burrow on itsown is not good enough. As the enclosure stand right now, I'd bring her in.

With heavy rain the enclosure should have good drainage so it doesn't flood.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't leave your turtle outside with those low temps and that netting won't stop anything but a sparrow. You need a wood framed, welded wire top before your tortoise stays outside overnight. Raccoons love to eat box turtle heads and legs.

stinax182

5 Year Member
That's what i forgot, the leaf litter! And yes, i forgot to add that I'll be using the netting with chicken wire when i can buy it. Thanks for the advice guys.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Also know the predators in your area. Some mainly have to protect against flying predators. We don't have raccoons, although I will always be on the look out. Hawks, yes.
Check feed stores for the welded wire (aka hardware mesh), often less expensive than home supply stores.
1/2" openings is a good size, but I've used 1"x1/2" too.
Your enclosure looks good. Since it is right next to the house, it may not dip down quite as low, temperature-wise.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! How would i go about making better drainage in the burrow? It's made with pavement blocks and is 8" deep and i plan on stuffing it with leaf litter and some dirt. I made sure the burrow itself was the highest point in the enclosure but the entrance is obviously a big hole.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I live in Worcester, MA, My Three toed spent last winter hibernating outside, I have had her inside every winter since I owned her (1989). She completely disappeared from her enclosure the middle of August 2013. I was cleaning up her enclosure to make it a garden and she came out to great me. I still have no idea where she buried/ hid herself from August 2013 to May 2014.

What drives me crazy the most is I can find her whenever I want to now, but could not locate her at all last August. I still bring her in when the temperature will be below 55 F. I have one of those Aururite thermometer next to my bed and in the living room.

I find Oak leaves are the best for making a hiding place. Good luck.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks everyone! How would i go about making better drainage in the burrow? It's made with pavement blocks and is 8" deep and i plan on stuffing it with leaf litter and some dirt. I made sure the burrow itself was the highest point in the enclosure but the entrance is obviously a big hole.
Drainage may or may not be an issue. But if there is any concern, you could dig a trench in front of the enclosure (12"?) and back fill with gravel. This acts at least partly as a 'drain'.