leylan

Hello my name is leylan . I have recently found my obsession with tortoise s . I want to be a tortoise owner but don't want to have a unhappy tortoise. I live in north dakota in a apartment any ideas on what would be the best type of tortoise I should raise

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Welcome. The best kind of tort for you is the kind you can provide the best home for. If you live in an apartment you should be looking for smaller torts. Look into the "specific species" section of this board and start reading up on the different ones. I've never had a Russian tortoise before but rumor has it they make great 1st torts, very hardy and only get 9"+\-

Longmont, CO
Russians grow to about 9" and are very popular because of their social personalities.

My little brother visited for the weekend and I let my Russian tortoise hang out with us! Picture attached.

Attachments

• Nerdywithtort.png
    Nerdywithtort.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Leylan, and welcome to the Forum!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Hello Leylan, welcome from Fargo! What part of North Dakota do you live in?

It is hard to raise tortoises here, but not impossible. I went for a Hermann's tortoise. Very hardy, tolerant of cooler temperatures (compared to other species), very pretty shells, great personality, and smaller in size.

leylan

I live in Fargo also. I will research the hermanns and the Russian. I am very excited and nervous, I want to do everything right from habitat to diet.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I live in Fargo also. I will research the hermanns and the Russian. I am very excited and nervous, I want to do everything right from habitat to diet.

Awesome! I'd be happy to geek out with you sometime if you'd like, show you my little one and setup, answer questions.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Leylan welcome to the TFO from AZ . Russians are small but they don't do well in pairs and they need a lot of room to roam . I do have Russians and Herrmanns but you might want to resurch Greeks . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum