shelly85

Hi my name is Shelly. I have a 6 year old Sulcata, Dakota, who is no where near 100 lbs! I am very worried and have not been told the proper way to care for him. He is healthy, clear eyes and alert and has definitely been growing, just very slowly. I have just changed his diet and need to know how humid his tank should be kept. Please help

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
hi and welcome. if you post pictures it really helps the others out with helping you . :) tortoise and enclosure pics

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). At this point, make him a humid hide. 80% humidity and 80 temp. Like Heather H said, more help can also be given if enclousre and diet , etc is given. Below in my post are Toms threads on raising a hatchling sulcata. Reading it will help you to understand how he should have been raise and something's that you can adjust to his size now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shelly, and welcome to the Forum!!

At this point, at six years, humidity isn't the issue it would be if Dakota were a baby. The humidity is important during their first year of life to aid in smooth shell growth.

There are several things that help a tortoise grow smooth and strong: humidity, a good, varied diet, a LOT of exercise (a big habitat) and UVB either from the sun of from a good UVB light.

Tortoises all grow at different rates. I doubt Dakota would have reached 100lbs yet even with the most experienced keeper. How big is he?

shelly85

He is about 7 by 5 inches. I got him when he was about 5 mos old from a pet store in Orlando, FL. I just started feeding him orchard grass and pumpkin purée with calcium twice a month, up until then I was feeding him large grass pellets from the pet store, spinach and fruit for a treat. I use a uv lamp and heat lamp in a large glass tank. He always has fresh water in a dish he can get into. I will put pics up soon. The lights are on from 7am to 8pm. I just got an under-tank heater today.