New member :) help me with my baby's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjaturtle

5 Year Member
Hi my name is kate
I have wanted a sulcata for as long as I can remember! My previous job had us moving states frequently and then came the kids. Well today I was blessed with two little ones that someone had bought for their children and their kids have lost interest already! These are small they fit in the palm of my hand!!!! I went out got a uv light heat light tank ect and a couple hundred dollars later they are moved in hehe! I am thankful I came across this site!! Now for the questions....(I have ordered 5 books from amazon but that will be a few day...overkill Im sure hehe) how warm should their tank be? should I leave the lights on 24/7? I gave them greens but I heard you are not suposted to give them that everyday. I heard no fruit but I see on youtube people feeding tomatos all the time....help!!! I am already in love and dont want to hurt them!!! :)

Attachments

• 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 30

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
All three are adorable.....I only have direct knowledge of caring for the harry one (LOL) but I know lots of folks will be here to offer suggestions on the two shelled ones..... :D

Oh yeah...Welcome to the Forum :)

ninjaturtle

5 Year Member
thanks for the welcomes...the harry one is dying to play with them but I do not want to stress them out!!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Welcome to the forum. It looks like you are going to have a lot of extra hands helping you raise your tortoises. This can be a good learning experience for them. Enjoy...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Here's a few tips for a new sulcata owner.
1. The care sheet that Corey linked for you above lists all the details on how I like to care for them. It lists temps, foods, substrate... all sorts of good stuff.
2. Soak them daily.
3. Sunshine is important. I like an hour or two in a safe outdoor enclosure for babies and more as they get bigger.
4. Feed them every day. Sometimes I feed mine twice a day.
5. Don't use those coil type florescent UV bulbs. They can damage their eyes.
6. They need it dark at night, but still warm. Ceramic heating elements work well for this purpose.
7. Humid hide boxes go a long way toward keeping them hydrated and growing smooth.

Ask lots of questions here. We have some really good members here that know lots of good stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing them grow up smooth and healthy.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Welcome to TFO, your new babies are adorable and so is the human baby :D Your torts look close to the same age as mine. They are so fun. Definately check out the care sheet and that will help you tremedously!

ninjaturtle

5 Year Member
when you say soak...do I put them in a lil bowl and splash them around a bit? obviously not very deep but how long? thank you for everyones help! I am glad I bumped into this site :)) I will have to attach a pic tomorrow of thir new castle hehe and let you all take it from there

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
ninjaturtle said:
when you say soak...do I put them in a lil bowl and splash them around a bit? obviously not very deep but how long? thank you for everyones help! I am glad I bumped into this site :)) I will have to attach a pic tomorrow of thir new castle hehe and let you all take it from there

I soak Boulder every other day, some say everyday is better, either way warm water up to their chin for 20 mins is what I do :) I also spray the enclosure 2x a day with him in it. Also leave a water bowl they can get into and out of on their own that isn't too deep.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I soak them for 10-60 minutes. If I'm in a big hurry and they have not been outside, I might only go 10 minutes. If they have been sunning in the hot dry air here for a couple of hours and I'm not in a hurry, I might leave them for an hour and change the water out a time or two after they poop in it. Most days are around 20-30 minutes. I use a thermometer and warm the water to around 90 and I make deep enough to cover the bridge where the plastron and carapace meet. I use dishwashing tubs from Walmart for this. They only cost about $2. (I love saving money...) When soaking time is over, I spray them with plain water out of a sprayer to rinse off all the poopy water. An added benefit to this (I mean in addition to keeping them well hydrated) is that they always poop in the soaking water and never in their cage. I NEVER have to clean their enclosures except to remove any uneaten pieces of food.

Status
Not open for further replies.