Im a new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

j333fernandez

5 Year Member
Hi everyone I'm Jesse and I'm new to the tortoise forum website.i want to know if any of you tort forum members have any suggestions for cheap baby box turtles (any type) or baby Russian tortoises. I have never owned a turtle before nor now anything about turtles but I've heard there pretty easy to take care of.THANK YOU very much for your time.(((((((IM GETTING THE TURTLES FOR MY KIDS)))))))))

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Welcome. turtles are fun although you need to clean the tank atleast once a week to keep it not so smelly. unless you have a super good filter

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jesse:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Unless we know where you are, its a bit hard to know where to tell you to look for tortoises. Just keep watching craigslist. You can also look at the classified reptile sellers on the internet.

Please understand that even though you are buying the tortoise for your kids, it will be YOU who ends up caring for it and cleaning it and feeding it. Also, once the tortoise is big enough, he needs to be outside.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome and good luck on your search! :)

Just an FYI - Tortoises live a very very very long time. Your kids' grandkids could be inheriting them one day. So, if your kids loose interest, go off to college, etc, you will be left with these tortoises. Alternately, you might want to consider a shorter-lifespan pet such as a puppy or a hamster.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I hope we are able to help you here.

When people start out asking for something cheap, it sends up a red flag for me. Russians and box turtles are not very expensive to start with, and their set ups and care end up costing much more than the animals. I just think the first criterion should be a healthy, well adjusted animal. If a few bucks one way or the other really matters that much, how would you afford the vet bills if anything ever went wrong?

I've been accused of being condescending, but that is not my intention here. Most of us here are here for a genuine love of these animals, and the price for a pet that will literally outlive your children just doesn't seem like it should be the priority.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! How old are your children?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Welcome!

Tom said:
Hello and welcome. I hope we are able to help you here.

When people start out asking for something cheap, it sends up a red flag for me. Russians and box turtles are not very expensive to start with, and their set ups and care end up costing much more than the animals. I just think the first criterion should be a healthy, well adjusted animal. If a few bucks one way or the other really matters that much, how would you afford the vet bills if anything ever went wrong?

I've been accused of being condescending, but that is not my intention here. Most of us here are here for a genuine love of these animals, and the price for a pet that will literally outlive your children just doesn't seem like it should be the priority.

Ditto.

j333fernandez

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:

My children are 12 & 9

ALDABRAMAN said:

Thank you

mctlong said:
Welcome and good luck on your search! :)

Just an FYI - Tortoises live a very very very long time. Your kids' grandkids could be inheriting them one day. So, if your kids loose interest, go off to college, etc, you will be left with these tortoises. Alternately, you might want to consider a shorter-lifespan pet such as a puppy or a hamster.

Ok thank you for the info.

StudentoftheReptile said:
Welcome!

Ditto.

Thank you

tyguy35 said:
Welcome. turtles are fun although you need to clean the tank atleast once a week to keep it not so smelly. unless you have a super good filter

We are looking for land turtles not water turtles.Thank you

emysemys said:
Hi Jesse:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Unless we know where you are, its a bit hard to know where to tell you to look for tortoises. Just keep watching craigslist. You can also look at the classified reptile sellers on the internet.

Please understand that even though you are buying the tortoise for your kids, it will be YOU who ends up caring for it and cleaning it and feeding it. Also, once the tortoise is big enough, he needs to be outside.

I'm located in albuquerque ,New Mexico .

ALDABRAMAN said:

Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
j333fernandez said:
Jacqui said:

My children are 12 & 9[hr

I'm located in albuquerque ,New Mexico .

Those are good ages to get started with turtles and tortoise I think, as long as the parent is involved too and it sounds like you will be. My oldest daughter is now living in Albuquerque, too! :D Baby box turtles are not always the easiest guys to keep going and new some pretty exacting needs, so I really would not suggest anybody new to tortoise and turtles to get a hatchling, older would be better.

j333fernandez

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Those are good ages to get started with turtles and tortoise I think, as long as the parent is involved too and it sounds like you will be. My oldest daughter is now living in Albuquerque, too! :D Baby box turtles are not always the easiest guys to keep going and new some pretty exacting needs, so I really would not suggest anybody new to tortoise and turtles to get a hatchling, older would be better.

Ok thank you very much

pam said:

Thank u from the welcoming

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Welcome and good luck.. Make sure you do a lot of research on whatever you decide to get. The members on this forum are always willing to help with great advice.. I recently adopted a 6 yr old African spur thigh.. I love him and had to add him to my will because with the proper care he will out live me.. I am lucky enough to have a 14 yr old son that is planning on taking him to college, apparently my will will be executed in the next 5 years.. Lol.. Kids.. Anyway please do your research and good luck, the right pet can be extremely rewarding..

j333fernandez

5 Year Member
mary t said:
Welcome and good luck.. Make sure you do a lot of research on whatever you decide to get. The members on this forum are always willing to help with great advice.. I recently adopted a 6 yr old African spur thigh.. I love him and had to add him to my will because with the proper care he will out live me.. I am lucky enough to have a 14 yr old son that is planning on taking him to college, apparently my will will be executed in the next 5 years.. Lol.. Kids.. Anyway please do your research and good luck, the right pet can be extremely rewarding..

Thanks i will be sure to do my research and the kids also

Status
Not open for further replies.