New member from upstate SC

ShaunandLaura

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I am new to Tort ownership and after spending almost the whole day reading threads on your site... I have learned I may be off to a rough start. I evidently made the big mistake of beleiving a PetSmart associate when she told me that My new Russian Tortoise was captive bread. He seems very healthy and friendly. He loves to have the top of his head rubbed and was eating as soon as I introduced him to his new home. Maybe Im lucky and got a good one. Either way, he was a gift for my wife who has always loved turtles. We have had easterns and currently have two HUGE red ear sliders. I have our new addition in our custom enclosure that we built for our last eastern but plan to build him an Awesome table soon!.

One thing im not too sure about is his age. The nice young lady at PetSmart told me that he is Male and is less than a year old. He is about 4" long (minimum legal size for sale in SC) How old do you guys think he is?? Thanks in advance for your help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Not that is was a bad purchase, or a bad tort, just most likely bad info. Yes, he is most likely wild caught. He is also most likely between the ages of 4-6. Take care of him properly, with the info from this forum, not the pet store and you will have a handsome long time shelled friend. Btw, post pics of the underneath, tail area and we can sex him to be sure he, is really a he. They aren't good at sexing either.

ShaunandLaura

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:). Not that is was a bad purchase, or a bad tort, just most likely bad info. Yes, he is most likely wild caught. He is also most likely between the ages of 4-6. Take care of him properly, with the info from this forum, not the pet store and you will have a handsome long time shelled friend. Btw, post pics of the underneath, tail area and we can sex him to be sure he, is really a he. They aren't good at sexing either.

Thanks for the welcome. I will try to post some pics later. I am at work now.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. You did nothing wrong. You thought you could trust that the store had the correct information, not your fault. You have done your research and found this site and there are many people here to help. I think the most important thing right now would be the set up and temp. How about pics of that first. Lets worry about sexing later. And what are you feeding?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shaun, and welcome to the Forum!