Hello from SC

ShannonC

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hello everyone!! I am new here and live in the Upstate of SC. I have been a Herp lover all my life, starting with pet frogs when I was about 12. I have had reptiles and turtles as pets for most of my adult life, except for about the last three years......fast forward......20 year old daughter moves back home from college campus to be a commuter student and gets a job at the local big chain pet store (the smart one.....lol) and brings home an ailing beardie baby for me to help her nurse.......now there has been an explosion of my love for Herps again!!!!

I have always wanted tortoises, but was just never in a "place" to get one. Well, I have recently acquired two hatchling Leopard Tortoises after agonizing over what kind I would really love to have. (directly from two differrent breeders) I have been studying and planning for months, even brainstorming a large outdoor enclosure for hopefully a small group, even though that will be a few years off....lol

I am really glad I found this place!! I have been reading and reading and reading here, and I have learned a LOT!! (Always something new to learn!!)

ETA: I still have two RES also.....they have been with me for about five years. I also have three Bearded Dragons...two from breeders, one rescue from the smart place.....and three Leopard Geckos.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shannon, and welcome to the forum!

(It's quite ok to mention the store's name. We do it all the time!)

ShannonC

South Carolina
Thank you Tom!! And, yes, I have seen those.....lol.......more than once!! I am a "Dive In" kinda person. Gotta do everything just right or not at all!! Having kept reptiles for so long, I have learned that it's the only way to go. I even started growing millet grass, wheat grass and rye grass in trays about two or three weeks before I got my first baby. I have already started flower seeds and started planning where my outdoor enclosure(s) will go so that I can start planting suitable shrubs and perrenials......lol .....I also bought a small bag of Mazuri. I already have many different kinds of calcium and vitamin supplements, I keep pedialyte on hand, and treat all my water with Repti-safe. Funny enough, the hardest thing to find right now is the terra cotta trays to use for the food and water......I have TONS of them, but they are all just way too big!!

ShannonC

South Carolina
Thanks for the welcome Yvonne!! I wasn't sure what the thoughts on that were. I know I have read them on here several times, but didn't want to step on any shady ground.....lol

She works there, but we don't buy much from there......never have really, and I feel like my sources are better anyway. The biggest problem we both have is not "saving" the animals that are not doing well. Right now they have a Russian that has been there since my daughter started working there in June.....it only moves to eat and it is in one of those little square enclosures (15x15?).....killing me and her both!! They will only let her do so much, even though she knows it's not getting what it needs!

ShannonC

South Carolina
Thank you everyone for the welcome!!

@ZEROPILOT .......I was born into a Tiger family....we eat chicken for lunch!! LOL......nah, I don't really care.....I just follow the family.....lol. I am in Greenville County, about an hour or so from Rock Hill.

@Grandpa Turtle 144 .....I LOVE the picture!!!! And I have actually been surprised at my husband's interest in the tortoises.....he's not a herp fan!! (Maybe that means he will help me build!!!!.....lol)

ShannonC

South Carolina
Thank you for the warm welcome Jodie and matchdog!! I have wanted tortoises all my life! The hardest part was deciding what kind!! So far, I am totally in love with these little Leopard babies!!

matchdog

Georgia
I know what you mean. I never figtured I would own a tortoise but after receiving Spike wish I owned one sooner.