New member from Saint Paul Minnesota, with an unidentified turtle/tortoise

MrsNickDanger

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Yep, bit by bit with the nail clipping, there is a blood vessel in there, but it will withdraw as you cut down so after a couple of days, you should be able to take a little more off.
Looks like a girl to me, but I'm rubbish at this.
Thank you for the advice, I trimmed the parts that were starting to curl and will trim more in a few days.

MrsNickDanger

5 Year Member
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I don't see a shade source in your outside pen. I am not counting the cardboard box. Do you use something that isn't in the picture?
Hi Keepergale, Thank you for you comment about providing shade. I reconfigured Teak's cage so the small tree is in her pen. I also added wood chips for her to lay on. She loves the improvements and I can tell she is happier. Now she can burrow in against the tree and a large stone.

Attachments

• IMG_3516.JPG
    IMG_3516.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3517.JPG
    IMG_3517.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 14

MrsNickDanger

5 Year Member
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Yep, bit by bit with the nail clipping, there is a blood vessel in there, but it will withdraw as you cut down so after a couple of days, you should be able to take a little more off.
Looks like a girl to me, but I'm rubbish at this.
It's very minimal and nothing to worry about. It's the nails that need worrying about, they're starting to curl back which will be painful when walking. Use some clippers to cut them down and put a few paving stones in the outside enclosure for him to walk on to grind them down. I would also feed him on those stones to help hero the beak trimmed
Hi Tortdad. Thank your for the suggestions about my RF. I have been clipping her nails and I now feed her on a small slab of cement. I also got her a cuttlebone which she went nuts for! So her nails and beak should be in much better condition, thanks to your suggestions. I will also be adding some paving stones to her pen.

Attachments

• IMG_3525.JPG
    IMG_3525.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3522.JPG
    IMG_3522.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3527.JPG
    IMG_3527.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 12

MrsNickDanger

5 Year Member
Saint Paul, Minnesota
dont put water over his head. only up to or below the crease that devides the top and bottom of shell. soke twice weekly. feed him watermellon once monthly as a treat.
Thank you for the advice. I soak her in the bathtub as it is the only space large enough, and I fill it as you mentioned only to half her shell. I appreciate every one's comment, my tortoise is happier with the correct care.

squirtthetortandfriends50

5 Year Member
and one more thing i see how u have the little house and tree but you should put in a bigger house and put a cave under it but make sure it is sloped so he can get up