Just doing my research

Sparkly

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
Hello, tortoise folks.
I have wanted a tortoise for a very long time and finally feel like it is a good time to make that commitment.

I live in the frozen north, but have lots of room to house a large tortoise. So far I find I am drawn to the leopard tortoise, but there seems to be a lot of sulcatas that need a new home. (For all the obvious reasons I'm sure you are all familiar with)

What is your opinion: buy a tortoise from a breeder? Or give an unwanted a tortoise a new home?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You can have any tort that your billfold can handle . But I had torts for over 16 years and I do have Leopards and many others . And I live in AZ but my nightly lows can get below the 30's . If want and can aford to get something that keeps your torts 80 degrees at night . Or you can think about some of the smaller ones in the house in the winter it might be Easyer .
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1451712781.098877.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If you can make an appropriate enclosure I would say adopt a tortoise that needs a new home. There are many many, way too many sulcatas that need homes. And surprisingly there's quite a few up north here. I am in Washington state. Russians are always looking for new homes also. They are a smaller tortoise but they still need lots of room and cannot be kept in pairs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It's already been said, but I'll just reaffirm - If you've got the money to give the tortoise a proper habitat, with heat and lights and enough room for it to get the exercise it needs, then get whatever you want. If you want a leopard, but settle for adopting something else just to give it a home, you're always going to be wishing you got that leopard. Bear in mind, most tortoises do much better outside. This can be done in the frozen north, it just costs more.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Alberta is one of the Canadian markets that unwanted Sulcatas seem to turn up more commonly in. You likely will be able to find leopards and Hermann's too although they're not as commonly rehomed.

If you feel you could adequately house a small tropical condition loving horse in the winter, go for the sulcata. It certainly can be done well if you have enough money. Lots of land is perfect for the summer, but given how long and cold your winters are, you'll also need a very large, well heated and lit indoor enclosure. If you already have a well insulated barn to convert, you'll have an easier time.

I've not seen giants in need of rehoming in Canada before though - usually people realize they can't meet a sulcata's needs around the 20-30lb mark, so you likely will have a few years before needing space for a >100lb wrecking ball. Still, make sure you understand the expense involved (which will vary some depending on where you are in Alberta).

If you haven't come across Frankie yet, he's a good example of a big guy kept in a colder than average Sulcata climate (Leann is in Mobile, Alabama, I believe so much milder winters than Calgary or Edmonton but a good starting place) http://frankietortoisetails.blogspot.ca

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: Leopards are awesome, but I'd say rescuing a Sulcata that needs a home would be a good move. Plus, getting an older tortoise as your first means there is probably going to be less margin for error. Starting with hatchlings was very challenging for me...if I could do it again I would have started with a young adult or adult instead.

yillt

Hello!!! I would suggest getting which ever tortoise you would rather spend 60+ years with. Sulcatas do grow pretty large and are similar to little bulldozers. But on the other hand, it would be very nice to save a tortoise without a family. Whatever feels right, do that. :D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello,and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum!
I would say to go where your heart tells you, but make sure you've got the set up right for the species you decide on before you purchase or adopt.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/ to begin with and then the care sheets pinned at the top of each section under our Species Specific Forums to see what you will need in advance.
Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

Randi

Canada
We have a member who lives in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (As I do) with a large Sulcata. The torts name is Franklin. He was 80 pounds when I saw him a few years ago. He's probably over 100 pounds now. I could perhaps get you in contact with the owner so you can ask how he keeps his? As per your question about adoption, I believe this would be a wonderful decision. Many need good homes. They may be "unwanted" but are not "unworthy". Please consider rescuing. It is rewarding for both you and the animal you've saved.