New "Marble" Female Basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
A couple days ago she discovered the basking spot!

One of the distinct characteristics of female diamondback terrapins is their broad head and jaws. Even tho' she's just 4" SCL.. take a look at this face and head -

MarbleFACE.jpg

MarbleFaceL.jpg

She just sat there while I took these pics.. and then turned around so the lighting would be right for each pose -

MarbleRProfile.jpg

She's really going to love it when I hook-up the "heat" light.

MarbleSTRETCH.jpg

Whatta girl.....
BOWDOWN.gif

NERD

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice pics of a really nice turtle Terry. Love the stretched out pose.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
... must ...resist ...urge to start collecting water turtles

very cool turtle

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Gorgeous turtle!
As beautiful as they are, you would be shocked at how aggressive and snappy they are when you find them in the wild.
Eric Holt and I caught several adults last fall as part of a study he is doing. While he was measuring and photographing them one female walked about four feet toward me just to bite my shoe. You could see that she did this--absolutely--on purpose as when she got close to my shoe she opened her mouth for the rest of the distance to my foot. I had never seen a turtle be so deliberate in its attempt to bite me before.
All of the others were equally bitey. We measured them and then they were released right where they were found.
Fantastic turtles.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
They are really beautiful NERD, nothing like the Northern's we have here. I think the wild Northern's are just as aggressive, as we've seen the big one's chase ducks right out of the pond where it turns into the bay. Yours are so striking they look almost fake.
These are two Northern's we had to re-home a few months ago. Nice, but not as pretty as yours.
002-33.jpg

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Redfoot NERD said:
Carl did they look anything like this male? -

Nope. The ones we got were from an intergrade population in the upper Florida Keys. They are much darker with bluish gray skin. This fat little male had been stealing fish from some birds that were being fed on a dock.
They really do have blue colored skin too.

DSC03049.jpg

DSC03050.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
There was still that dark carapace with the yellow 'border' Carl!

TerryO those look like Northerns.. nice!

This is another view of the ( different ) young Concentric female that came with that male.. on a trade last spring -

FEMALERface.jpg

I hated it that I didn't have the where-with-all to keep her [ at least ].. had to give them up. I hope they went to a good home.

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.