New Leopard Tortoise Hatchling

KatieKat523

Hi there! I recently got a leopard tortoise hatchling, almost 3 months old. Ive read very different suggestions as far as diets go. Some sites say, they cant eat certain things such as spinach and watermelon, and other sites say they are ok in moderation. Im hoping I can get some suggestions from actual Leopard Tort owners. Right now hes eating kale and loves it. We've only had him for a week, so we haven't really tried much else. We've also got the calcium with d3. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
Last edited:

phebe121

Spinach no and fruit no read the care sheet if you want to give them.a.treat punkin or yellow squash i have leopards i feed them kale,carrots,grass,clover,dandelions, rose of sharon leafs and flowers,hibiscus,wondering jew,spider plant,spring mix,rose leafs. What bedding do you have for them and tells temps and how you take care of them

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Congrats on your baby. You'll probably find kale on the list of stuff not to feed too much, something to do with the digestive system and calcium conversion. Your best bet for babies is simply a nice spring mix and red or green leaf lettuce. It is good to remove the spinach for the same reason as the kale. I use spring mix for my babies as well as adults, with some Mazuri mixed in every few days and they grow like weeds. Fruits like strawberries, watermelon, etc. are a nice treat, but not too often and in moderation. Pumpkin is also a nice treat and a natural wormer.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hey, Greg where have you been hiding? You can buy seed mix off line also .

KatieKat523

Thank you all :) for lighting we are using heat light and Uvb, and a red heat light at night. Right now he is in a dirt/sand mixture because we were told that was the best. And every site said kale was something the feed all the time. Should I stick with mainly grass from the yard and dandelion? What's the site to buy the tort grass mix?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
sand can cause Impaction in the torts intestines, replace it with coco coir. weeds and grasses and the best for you tort, most members grow there own tort foods. do you have a lawn without pesticides? Mazuri is little mushed up grass lol. its good because it adds some variety to torts diet.