New Leopard questions

July

5 Year Member
I am anticipating picking up my first Leopard tortoise(8 months old) this week and had a few questions. The breeder that I am getting them from keeps them a little differently that I kept my redfoots in that he uses a habitat heat mat and cypress mulch that he mists down-no humid hide, etc that I was expecting to need. He also uses a UVB bulb over head. And soaks them twice a week. It doesn't seem like it would be humid enough, but his tortoises have beautiful smooth shells so it must be working. He also swears by the Mazuri diet, in combination with greens,and I have never fed a commercial diet before.
Anyway, as I get used to the idea that this is a grassland species unlike my Redfoots, can I cut grass and weeds in my yard and somehow preserve them for winter? Or how do you best feed them over the winter?
I'm super excited to try my hand at a new species. I think they are beautiful tortoises. Love having this forum to bounce questions out to the pros! TIA!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Your description of the breeders care does not fill me with a lot of confidence.

Could you share the pictures of the smooth shelled tortoises he sent you? How long has he been caring for his tortoises like this? Does he have pictures of older specimens raised like this?

Here's a caresheet that I typed up. I've raised a lot of smooth tortoises keeping them like this. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/

July

5 Year Member
He has been keeping tortoises for over 40 years, worked for a zoo for some time and owned a pet store. He showed me pics of some of his red foots too and they look good too.
Here's the leopard
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414531993.784849.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414532023.349989.jpg

They are outside whenever possible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Where is the breeder located and where are you located. This will play a factor on whether or not what he does is enough in his area, but will it be enough in yours. A high humdiity state like Florida, you could probably get away with his care. Some place like AZ, you will not.
Along with Neals recommendation, which not sure if it's the same type as listed below in my post, which are Toms, but either ones will work no matter where you are located.

July

5 Year Member
I have read your care sheet and pretty much plan to follow it. I have a Powersun as well. It sounds similar to this breeders set up minus the humid hide. His use of the underneath heat is different. He says its how they did it in zoos. Anyway, thanks for reminding me about the care sheet.
Any suggestions on how to preserve the nice pesticide free weeds in my yard before winter comes?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try hanging the weeds to dry. Tie a bunch together and hang in a cool/warm, not cold or hot dry place,