New leopard owner from socal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battlesnake

5 Year Member
Thanks all for the great resource. The following are the list of mistakes I would have made so far if it wasn't for this forum (in the order I would have made them):

- Buying a sulcata (would have been a mistake for me)
- Using mulch/sand/pellets/etc. (I know some of these are debatable)
- Only feeding lettuce, or other non-optimal foods
- Only getting a UVA basking light
- Using a clamp fixture for my MVB
- Not providing a sufficient heat gradient or escape from the sun

Again, thanks for all of the info, and Shelly seems to be doing great so far, so she/he is also grateful for your experience.

By the way, I am sure the answer to this is somewhere, but what do the #.#.# numbers in people's sigs mean?
--
Tyler

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix Arizona
welcome! we would love to see pics of your little one! so happy you browsed the forum and found good info! the numbers in the signatures stand for:

Male.Female.unknown

so 2.1.3 would mean two males, one female, 3 unknown.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Glad you found the forum to be helpful to you and your leopard. Do you got any pics you can put on here? And Welcome to the forum!!!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome! TFO is a great resource for gaining knowledge and advice. Amazing that after years of tort keeping this forum has taught me how much I still have to learn.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tyler:

You're very welcome! That's what we're here for...well, in addition to visiting with our friends around the world and seeing pictures of all their turtles and tortoises. But mainly, helping turtle/tortoise keepers is our focus.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I'm so glad our info helped you and your new tortoise! That's great news. Hope we can help some more. Is your new leopard a hatchling? Did you get word that hatchlings need to be soaked every day and they don't get ALL their water from the food they eat? A humid hide box will go a long way in helping smooth growth too.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

Leopards ROCK!

....as do Sulcatas But I'm glad you had to wisdom not to chose one if it's not for you!

Battlesnake

5 Year Member
Sorry to take so long to reply.

I was told that she is a little over three months (about 3 in), but I don't know the exact date.

Yes, I have been soaking Shelly everyday, but I have just been using a smallish plant saucer, so I can't always get her to stay in there for long. I leave it in with her, so I occasionally see he use it without prompting.

Her previous enclosure (a really wide ceramic pot) seems too small for day to day life, so I have been building her a new wood and chicken wire pen, that would alternate between fitting on top of an old radio flyer wagon full of topsoil, and being put over her on the lawn (grazing time). It is about 1.5 x 3.5 feet. How long do you think this size will be appropriate? She already seems to like the extra space, because she walks a lot more (or possibly just searching for a way to escape).

Here are a few pics. I have been assuming she is babcocki, but can someone confirm.

P.S. Tom and Neal don't worry about trying to explain the personality differences between leopard subspecies. I have already thoroughly enjoyed the battle royal in the other threads :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 30

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
awww what a cutie! Shelly looks great! May i make one small suggestion? maybe consider switching out that flower pot hide for a humid hide? I had a flower pot hide for my little leopard shorty. i noticed he was pyramiding so i switched it out for a humid hide and it has really improved his shell. im not sure what caused Shorty to pyramid (i have my theories) but i do know the humid hide helped improve it.:tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! What a cute picture of her in her flowerpot!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Cool lookin; tort!

Glad you enjoyed the personality debates. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.