New keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallaceandtilly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chepstow
I have just got two 3 year old tortoises william wallace and tilly trotter and at the moment have them in an indoor table, I have been advised to leave a red night spotlight on all night as the temp is dropping quite a bit. Any advice greatly appriciated, Tilly is lively during the day but Wallace who is a little smaller just sleeps day and night and isn't eating much at all

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome..could we get a little more info and pics of your inclosure, please.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) type of enclosure, substrate, lights, heat, anything you could tell us, also what kind of torts and size. The red light is fine. However, tortoises do like it dark at night. Same as it would be in the wild. A ceramic heat emitter is good for day and night.

wallaceandtilly

5 Year Member
Chepstow
Using echo earth compressed coconut fibre substrate and have a combined uv and heat lamp on during the day

Attachments

• image-3995416232.png
    image-3995416232.png
    213.4 KB · Views: 3
  • image-1664563036.png
    image-1664563036.png
    358.7 KB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know much about the species. However, three in one tort table I would guess the enclsoure is too small. I would also be the smaller one may be getting bullied, the reason for her/him to be acting the way it is. I would get them into a lot bigger enclosure, or get them each in their own. If you can't, I would at least get the littler one into its own and add a few sight barriers to the other. More info about size of table would also help. Type of food your feeding and the temps during the day and night, hot end and cool end. Post a pic of them and the table would help also.

wallaceandtilly

5 Year Member
Chepstow
Sorry it's 2 tortoises and they are three years old, table is 4x4 with lots of separate hides and separate areas, temp under lamp is 90/95 and cool ends are about 60/65, they are horsefields, don't seem to be able to upload photos yet but will as soon as I can, have been feeding them on various greens and dandelions bought some dried pellets today for an occasional change for them, all advise greatly received

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
wallaceandtilly said:
Sorry it's 2 tortoises and they are three years old, table is 4x4 with lots of separate hides and separate areas, temp under lamp is 90/95 and cool ends are about 60/65, they are horsefields, don't seem to be able to upload photos yet but will as soon as I can, have been feeding them on various greens and dandelions bought some dried pellets today for an occasional change for them, all advise greatly received

Horsfields tend to be extremely territorial, so Wallace may well be bullied, thus will not eat...perhaps a divider down the middle, thus giving him some peace, will show you a brand new Wallace!

Also, are you certain "Wallace" is a male and Tilly a "female"? If, indeed, you have one of each, you're going to need a much larger table and at least one more female...1.1 ratios almost never work.

And if both are males, it'll get even uglier, as one will eventually kill the other.

Until you know, install that divider and start planning a larger enclosure. Or another enclosure.

wallaceandtilly

5 Year Member
Chepstow
Thanks terry have now separated them, place I got them have said male/female would hate to think of Wallace being bullied, provider suggested he was getting ready to hibernate and that it was too cool at night for him, I left red lamp on over night Sunday and Wallace appeared brighter yesterday up and about in morning, went in water and was having a drink by the look of things..... Outdoor enclosure being built but its obviously not going yo be ready till spring time when weather warms up

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
wallaceandtilly said:
I have just got two 3 year old tortoises william wallace and tilly trotter and at the moment have them in an indoor table, I have been advised to leave a red night spotlight on all night as the temp is dropping quite a bit. Any advice greatly appriciated, Tilly is lively during the day but Wallace who is a little smaller just sleeps day and night and isn't eating much at all

What is the average temperature in their enclosure at night without heat on?

wallaceandtilly

5 Year Member
Chepstow
Temp at night is 65/70 so I'm guessing no need for heat lamp at night. I have day off today so will keep an eye and see if any sign of Wallace being bullied, they do go up to each other almost like dogs having a sniff at each other! Tilly walks around Wallace if he under basking light

wallaceandtilly

5 Year Member
Chepstow
Have spent the morning watching Wallace and Tilly, fed them both seperately, both ate well, salad leaves, carrot and mushroom. Both had a bath no sign of disharmony between them, I continue to worry about bullying toward Wallace as he is smaller and sleeps more and if I need to seperately them permanently then I need to be seriously consider if I can realistically keep them both, big outdoor enclosure being made but will they live together without risk to each other

image-3485278871.png

wallaceandtilly

5 Year Member
Chepstow
image-712130971.png

Not sure if these will upload been trying for a couple of days ]

Attachments

• image-996103442.png
    image-996103442.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 5
Status