New Jersey Permit

Saramala

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hey everyone, I’m hoping that someone could help me out. I have a 6 year old male greek tortoise. I am now fully aware that I need a permit to legally keep him in NJ.

My tortoise came to me as a result of a re-homing ad that was found on Craigslist from a family in Pennsylvania when the tortoise was 6 months old. We took the trip to go pick him up and bring him home, however at the time I was not aware I needed a permit to keep him.

I recently looked into how to properly get a permit to keep him, however the applicaction says that unless I can provide proof of where the animal came from my application will be denied. My concern is it has been nearly 6 whole years since we got him and don’t have any paperwork or receipt showing where he came from, so I am unsure how to go about getting a permit now. Did anyone have a similar experience or know how I can go about getting a permit?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Hey everyone, I’m hoping that someone could help me out. I have a 6 year old male greek tortoise. I am now fully aware that I need a permit to legally keep him in NJ.

My tortoise came to me as a result of a re-homing ad that was found on Craigslist from a family in Pennsylvania when the tortoise was 6 months old. We took the trip to go pick him up and bring him home, however at the time I was not aware I needed a permit to keep him.

I recently looked into how to properly get a permit to keep him, however the applicaction says that unless I can provide proof of where the animal came from my application will be denied. My concern is it has been nearly 6 whole years since we got him and don’t have any paperwork or receipt showing where he came from, so I am unsure how to go about getting a permit now. Did anyone have a similar experience or know how I can go about getting a permit?
I don't know anything specifically about the laws in New Jersey, but I wanted to throw a couple thoughts out there in case it's any help.

Have you taken this tortoise to a veterinarian, by any chance? IF so... Although that wouldn't necessarily prove where it came from, it might help prove how long you've had it, if that factors in anywhere. And if anyone at the vet's office wrote down in the file when and where the tortoise came from, something like veterinary records could feasibly help establish a paper trail.

In some situations government entities will accept a sworn, notorized affidavit (or something else that carries similar weight, i.e., under penalty of perjury) in lieu of the actual or original paperwork being requested. If you want to that route, it may mean contacting the office and asking what kinds of documents or records are considered acceptable, and if there's something they will accept as a substitution if their preferred documents aren't available. Also, if it's a law that took place since you adopted the tortoise, it's possible there would be a mechanism to "grandfather in" existing owners of tortoises.

That being said, I would hold off doing anything until someone familiar with the situation and laws in New Jersey weighed in.

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ

I’m in NJ and had the same issue. You technically need to provide proof of where you acquired the tortoise however that’s not always possible. When I got my initial permit I already had a couple Greeks, 3 Redfoots, and 2 Sulcatas. I emailed to them and explained that I was unaware of the permit process and was reaching out to them as soon as I became aware and wanted to make sure I was doing things by the book. I gave approximate dates of the purchases and gave my best recollection of where I acquired each one. They didn’t give me any issues and gave me the permits. Since then I’ve acquired more torts, had hatchlings, and even had another sulcatas dropped on my doorstep. Some I could show proof of acquisition and other not. I have always been totally up front with them. They might ask me some questions but aside from that they issue me the permits. I don’t know if I just got lucky or what but I find if you’re honest and can describe your situation you’re good to go. The only problem is it takes them forever to respond and I’ve had to reach back out to them to kind of nudge them because you don’t hear back quickly. I think you’re doing the right thing by getting a permit. None of us keepers need to give anyone a reason to deny us having these animals. Keep it honest even if it’s a pain.

Saramala

New Jersey
I don't know anything specifically about the laws in New Jersey, but I wanted to throw a couple thoughts out there in case it's any help.

Have you taken this tortoise to a veterinarian, by any chance? IF so... Although that wouldn't necessarily prove where it came from, it might help prove how long you've had it, if that factors in anywhere. And if anyone at the vet's office wrote down in the file when and where the tortoise came from, something like veterinary records could feasibly help establish a paper trail.

In some situations government entities will accept a sworn, notorized affidavit (or something else that carries similar weight, i.e., under penalty of perjury) in lieu of the actual or original paperwork being requested. If you want to that route, it may mean contacting the office and asking what kinds of documents or records are considered acceptable, and if there's something they will accept as a substitution if their preferred documents aren't available. Also, if it's a law that took place since you adopted the tortoise, it's possible there would be a mechanism to "grandfather in" existing owners of tortoises.

That being said, I would hold off doing anything until someone familiar with the situation and laws in New Jersey weighed in.
His first vet visit actually won’t be until late september, just for a wellness check. When they asked if I had paperwork for him I did explain how I got him and how I was unsure about going about getting the permit. They told me it wouldn’t be an issue for me to take him to the vet without paperwork. That was the extent of our exchange. They did make a note of it in their system which I assume they will talk to me about when I do take him for his visit.

Saramala

New Jersey
I’m in NJ and had the same issue. You technically need to provide proof of where you acquired the tortoise however that’s not always possible. When I got my initial permit I already had a couple Greeks, 3 Redfoots, and 2 Sulcatas. I emailed to them and explained that I was unaware of the permit process and was reaching out to them as soon as I became aware and wanted to make sure I was doing things by the book. I gave approximate dates of the purchases and gave my best recollection of where I acquired each one. They didn’t give me any issues and gave me the permits. Since then I’ve acquired more torts, had hatchlings, and even had another sulcatas dropped on my doorstep. Some I could show proof of acquisition and other not. I have always been totally up front with them. They might ask me some questions but aside from that they issue me the permits. I don’t know if I just got lucky or what but I find if you’re honest and can describe your situation you’re good to go. The only problem is it takes them forever to respond and I’ve had to reach back out to them to kind of nudge them because you don’t hear back quickly. I think you’re doing the right thing by getting a permit. None of us keepers need to give anyone a reason to deny us having these animals. Keep it honest even if it’s a pain.
That is so relieving to know! I did see contact information on the permit application page but was scared to reach out without proof of where my tortoise came from. I’m trying my best to get the proper paperwork for him since I have a year left of college and will probably be on my own within the next 2-3 years. I was worried about future landlords possibly asking to see a permit for him.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
His first vet visit actually won’t be until late september, just for a wellness check. When they asked if I had paperwork for him I did explain how I got him and how I was unsure about going about getting the permit. They told me it wouldn’t be an issue for me to take him to the vet without paperwork. That was the extent of our exchange. They did make a note of it in their system which I assume they will talk to me about when I do take him for his visit.
If you haven't resolved the permit situation by then, the vet's office may be able to coach you on how to handle it. It's not a guarantee, but they have probably come across this issue before.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
That is so relieving to know! I did see contact information on the permit application page but was scared to reach out without proof of where my tortoise came from. I’m trying my best to get the proper paperwork for him since I have a year left of college and will probably be on my own within the next 2-3 years. I was worried about future landlords possibly asking to see a permit for him.

I really doubt that landlords are going to ask to see a permit. It’s not a Rottweiler, it’s a pet tortoise.

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
No promises you’ll have the same experience as me but I would think you should be fine. Just explain your situation and give as much detail as you have. They don’t seem out to get people keeping “illegal” tortoises. For me, the mere effort of doing the right thing seemed sufficient.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so"
-Thomas Jefferson, One of the founders of the United States of America.

He didn't say what women are supposed to do...

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so"
-Thomas Jefferson, One of the founders of the United States of America.

He didn't say what women are supposed to do...
We do the same thing, just sneakier ?? jk!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
As someone who works closely with NJFW on several different levels, take it seriously. They don’t hesitate in taking charge when people don’t simply obtain permits.
Having said that, They are one of the best fish and wildlife agencies out there and actually listen to people when they are nothing less than 100% transparent. Tell them the truth and they’re not going to give you a hard time. One thing you have on your side is that it is not a native species. That’s the main focus and they’ll be skeptical about that at times. Even still, you can have 1,000 threatened wood turtles in your possession so long as your didn’t take them from the wild or purchase them from a state where you’d be breaking the Lacey Act. They want people to be honest so they can run things smoothly. They aren’t looking to flex muscles at someone who gave a Greek tortoise a home. The permitting process is easy, but yes, it often takes a long time. I don’t necessarily agree with the fact that permits are required for non-native species of course, but take it from someone who has been doing this their whole life in this state that it’s really nothing challenging.
They are understaffed and just starting to get caught up now that things are finally going back to normal. I provide some detail on my website and also give the direct link to the application.

Clem1965

New Jersey

I live in Jersey, just fill out the permit and state you got the tortoise at a reptile expo in Pa. I do it all the time, never had an issue.