New indoor enclosure

kaitiejane

I've been thinking about building a new enclosure, but cannot find any bookshelves in my area that are something I would use. I was wondering if there are any types of wood that I shouldn't use to build with. (Planning on buying from Home Depot)

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Babies need more heat and humidity then adults. A large tortoise table would be difficult to keep the heat and humidity in unless you made it a close chamber or a semi-closed chamber. And the increased humidity would be hard on the wood and less you treated it. You could use a Christmas tree box and then keep the lid to cover a good deal of it. this works for any type of tote. I got a 54 gallon one from Home Depot. What are you using right now for an enclosure?

kaitiejane

I planned on covering half of it with plexi glass. I'm just wondering if there is any wood that could be toxic to the tortoise.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Cedar or pine. Anything aromatic. you can use a shower curtain or pool liner to line the inside of it to make it waterproof.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I've heard both pine and cedar give off toxic fumes, however I think that if the wood is dried or treated it doesn't really matter. I made my enclosure out of pine and lined it, plus I have a plexiglass top.