New INDOOR ENCLOSURE PIC -- NEED IDEAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

christinevandorm

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, WA
Hi guys, so I had a Tortoise table made for my Russian....I attached a few pics. It has a house with a ramp which is awesome....It is 2 feet (24in) wide by 4.5 feet (52 in) long. I put hay in the house since Willie loves to hide in it .....My bedding is a mixture of play-sand and forest bedding. I also have some tiles in the eating area...I placed some vinyl underneath the bedding for the moisture. Any input on how I can make this better with plants or other things to make it more interesting would be very much appreciated!!!!! Here are the pics......

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I really like it! Emrys' enclosure is the same size as yours, but all on one level with no ramp. I don't know how much space you have spare, but if you're considering a plant I'd really recommend a spider plant.

Emrys loves his - it's encouraged him to sleep outside his hide sometimes. He had one night under the plant and one completely in the open air. It's also unlikely he's going to destroy it at his size, because they're so tough - he's eaten quite a bit but it looks like it'll grow faster than he can demolish it, and it adds a nice bit of colour!

christinevandorm

5 Year Member
Olympia, WA
Chery, where do you get a spiderplant???Would the regular nursery have them?? ALso do you put it in a pot in the enclosure, because I can't just plant it in the dirt and then water it??

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
christinevandorm said:
Chery, where do you get a spiderplant???Would the regular nursery have them?? ALso do you put it in a pot in the enclosure, because I can't just plant it in the dirt and then water it??

Here in the UK spider plants are very common - sold anywhere plants are! Don't know about the situation elsewhere but they're very hardy so I imagine they'd be common in all countries.

I just have mine planted straight into my enclosure, and give it a spray every day. Doesn't need a lot of moisture to survive, just a little bit each day, so I don't need to soak the soil.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You should be able to find the spider or it is also sometimes called airplane plant at local nursery even places like WalMart or Home Depot in the USA. I got one just a week ago at WalMart but they called it something else. They come in just the plain green leaves or the variegated. They are pretty sturdy and hardy, but Russians are usually hard on live plants.

Are you planning to grow the plants in your substrate, have them in pots buried in the substrate or maybe hang them on the sides or above the enclosure with them just hanging the leaves down to tortoise level?

Status
Not open for further replies.