New Indoor Enclosure (Closedish Chamber)

Justin C.

Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit, MI
New enclosure for my Russian and looking for some feedback.
Size: 48" x 24" x 30" (second level: 10" x 24")
Lined with a shower certain
Substrate: Coconut Fiber under second level and cypress mulch for remaining
Hides: 2 (1 large, 1 smaller)
Humidity: Steady 50% (but not trying to maintain)
Lamps: 1 basking (far right side), 1 UVB tube over food dish (second level, left side)

I will send completed pictures soon, I just have not taken them yet.
If OK, then I will build a completely closed chamber for a Leopard hatchling.

IMG_20140610_180334982.jpg

IMG_20140610_190818579.jpg

IMG_20140615_150454308.jpg

IMG_20140615_150502576.jpg

Please understand that I am not a handy man by any means. I also used strap wood left over from my home addition. From prior threads on this forum I learned that this does not need to hurt my wallet.

Thank you,

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Looks great but I have one question: How are you going to prevent the wooden board be rotten from all the moisture? are you going to paint it? or how you going to seal the board? Thanks.

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
Humidity is low that this wood will not rot as where there is direct contact with substrate the shower certain is there.
For the Leopard hatchling, they will start in a rubber made container well under construction. The enclosure will be completely closed chamber and protected by either a wood seal or a bathroom paint.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
you could alway's cover the wood with plastic to that's what i did and it's working fine

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Very nice!! This design looks vaguely familiar....did you get your design/idea from someone on the forum or make them yourself?

Justin C.

Metro Detroit, MI
Thank you all!!! Yes, I have used some passed threads for help as I am not a handle man by any means. It's better to get good information from actual parents of tortoises then people that have no glue what is good or bad to use.
I am hoping that this was good so if I needed to improve on this, I would have time before a leopard hatchling adoption.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Justin, on the leopard build I would recommend plywood over the particle board. I don't trust the smell that come off of that stuff in a closed chamber with humidity and the moisture really does break it down.