New ideas for my Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenaze

5 Year Member
My Russian is about 3 years old.. maybe? Sigh, I got him from the pet store.. and they thought he was a she >..<

Anyways. He's definitely outgrown his cage and we've been thinking of a new cage to make him, we don't have really any tools, not much space, and have to keep him inside... I do take him outside everyday for an hour or so depending on my schedule. We really like the idea of a kiddie pool and a book shelf. But I want to make sure he has enough room and depth to burrow and dig around.. The only thing that we REALLY have to watch out for is the material (sand, rocks, etc.) that he's walking on. He has a rare allergy (it's like a 1 in 1,000 chance) to very fine sand and dirt.

Help?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To give him more room, make a two level enclosure. Check out the enclosure thread. Also, try coconut coir for his substrate. It's as fine as sand, almost it won't mold and you can help with him digging a cave by putting a half of a clay pot hurried in the coir and hopefully he will dig down in it.

You can also use plain dirt and maybe some ground cover from out side, like leafs.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
A used bookshelf may be your best bet. But sometimes these are not deep enough to accommodate substrate and their tendency to climb. So also scout used furniture/Good will stores for hutches and entertainment centers; they tend to be deeper. Remove the shelves. You want the 'floor' or backing to be strong OR you can place it on a rectangular card table and just leave it there.
A good size would be 5-6' long, about 18" to 30" wide and 14" or so deep.
Line it with a sturdy brown tarp or pond liner, fold up the sides and staple or nail in place (OK, you might have to get a hammer, lol).

Staple a sturdy piece of rectangular cardboard to each corner to prevent the tort from shimmying out.

Coir makes a great substrate if your tort can't tolerate store bought soils or sand. But if he can go outside, Barb is right what about garden dirt (untreated, of course)?

Xenaze

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
.... fold up the sides and staple or nail in place (OK, you might have to get a hammer, lol).

Haha, we have basic tools ;)

But thanks!! You and Barb really helped :) My only other concern is "decoration" in his cage? All we have right now is a bed area he can burrow in to sleep, a water dish, the lamp & rock, a hide away, and his food dish... anything else you suggest to make him happy?

Oh and one other thing... his cage has pea gravel for flooring... is that okay? Or is to too hard? orrr....?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Pea gravel as a substrate? That won't make a good substrate for burrowing down in, as they love to do. Also, it probably retains heat more, so they can't thermoregulate.

It works in part of an enclosure, but the majority should be dirt/coir.

A plant like a spider plant in a sturdy pot, submerged in the substrate. Put it in the middle somewhere, not the edge so the tort can't use it to climb out. Plus, they often like to walk the perimeter. I took a piece of driftwood with one end in the soil, braced, the other end propped on the wall of the enclosure, and a fake piece of ivy wrapped around it. Sort of a visual prop.
A line of 3-4 flat stones about his size placed in a row. They like to climb them.

Status
Not open for further replies.