new idea for heat mat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
What do you think about these instead of pig blankets?

80 bucks. Costco return policy!! Sounds very durable and water resistent. Perfect for a tort. Just need a way to manage temps. Not sure how hot it gets, but i'd imagine it would be warm enough for a tort. They also have 3 packs of smaller ones intended for stairs, and huge ones intendended for walkways...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=0&whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11315966&lang=en-US

The HeatTrak® Door mat is an electrically heated mat designed to prevent snow and ice accumulation around your front door. The mat is made of an electrically operated heating element sandwiched between two protective surfaces of non-slip rubber, making it as durable as automobile tires and allowing it to endure harsh wear. The heated mat plugs into any standard 120V outlet generating heat to melt snow at a rate of 2” per hour. The HeatTrak® mat is charcoal gray and has a ribbed carpet surface providing your home with the look of a stylish high-end welcome mat. Turn the mat on before or after a snow fall and watch the mat melt snow on contact! The HeatTrak® Doormat is not only durable enough to endure the harshest of winter’s elements, but now with its newly designed detachable plug, the door mat makes a perfect addition to your house all year round!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Look and sounds O.K. to me. I guess until you buy and try it though you won't know how hot it actually gets. Costco's the best place to shop though. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
since it was designed for snow melting and not animals,I would of course be a little wary, but it would be interesting to see how hot it gets and such, interesting idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, but for that price you could buy a pig blanket that was made for animals.

chadk

10 Year Member!
LOL. How do you suppose it melts snow?

Personally I think is sounds more rugged and safe than a pig blanket. And now it would be more accessible since anyone can get it through costco. And with costco's return policy, there is no worry if it breaks or just doesn't work how you want it...

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't understand your thinking on this Chad. Safe??? More rugged??? Pig blankets are made to use with animals, how much more safe can you get??? Do I really want to pay for a hot sidewalk or a product made to use with animals??? Bob's had the same pig blanket on a thermostat for 3 years. It shows no wear and is safe for use on animals. It is very durable made of hard rubber and I know for a fact my sister has had numerous ones for over 10 years. There is nothing that is more rugged made to withstand a nightly beating from a 100 pound Sulcata. So here we have a safe product, made for use with animals comes with a thermostat (costs extra) and I can order it delivered to my door I don't have to drive thru sleet freezing rain ice and snow to the Costco that is miles away from me. I don't have to buy a membership to Osborn Industries to buy a pig blanket. To add to what I already said I like that Bob's is shaped like a triangle so it fits right into the corner which is how larger Sulcata like to sleep. I just don't think you can beat an Stansfield's pig blanket...I realize that you don't yet have any experience with a larger tortoise but every night they stick their face into the same corner and dig for about 20 minutes... what can be more rugged then to be able to withstand that abuse? I know that Bob's sleeping box made out of 3/4 inch plywood is starting to come apart, yet his pig blanket doesn't show a scratch...nah...you just don't have the experience yet Chad to see the power a large Sulcata has...these mats can withstand the power of a big Sulcata, can you say the same about your hot sidewalk???

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Maybe chad owns costco stock? :)

chadk

10 Year Member!
No, but with 7 kids and a small zoo\farm - I should!!

M

Maggie Cummings

This is what I am talking about...

v5judu.jpg

33u5roo.jpg

2cxjomf.jpg

2m5jzv9.jpg

and just for laughs...

wc1t1w.jpg

chadk

10 Year Member!
From what I can tell, it looks like the kane mats are abou ~25 bucks per square foot. These mats are ~13 per square foot. But the costco size of 2x3ft for $80 is probably your only option at that low price. I looked up the companies website and they do offer custom sizes. I sent them an email asking about use with livestock and tortoises - specifically, what the options are for controling it. They do offer t-stats, but they are not proportional. If you could hook one up to a cheap rehostat or a proportional t-stat, that would be great. I'll let you know what they say.

They also have holes in them for fastening them down to the floor, so that would be handy. And i like the surface that is durable and cleanable, but not slippery.

chadk

10 Year Member!
OK, so by default (no control source), they heat to about 35 degrees above ambient temps. So with a heat control source, it sounds very reasonable.

M

Maggie Cummings

Well, you just keep up with your research, mine is from experience. And, I don't have a cheap rehostat, I use an expensive control so I feel better about the heat control being safe. I certainly wouldn't hook up a cheap reostat and expect it to safely monitor the heat control for an animal who will spend much of his time on the mat.
I don't understand why you would want to buy and use something that it's not intended for especially since it's involving animals that I am hoping you care for. Bob's shed is quite a distance from my house so I wouldn't want to use something that's cheap and not intended for use with live animals. So now I have it hooked up and I am sleeping soundly only to be awaken by the sirens of a fire truck and see that Bob's shed is on fire and both Bob and Queenie have bought the farm. I care too much for my animals to try and save a few pennies on something that has the potential to hurt kill or maim them. I feel alright about spending the few extra bucks on their equipment, so you just go ahead and try to save a few pennies and possibly endanger the life of your animals.
I am sure that Osborn Industries will come back and tell you that pig blankets are called that or a farrow pad because that is the intended use. For use with a mother pig and her babies, hence the name "farrow pad". But it is still intended for use with animals, not as a hot sidewalk. So I think we have come to the point where I will agree to disagree. You save your pennies, I don't mind at all spending the extra bucks on my animals...

chadk

10 Year Member!
Wow. Who said it was a fire hazard? It is made to melt snow and be walked on all winter. Very durable. The rehostat suggestion is just one simple option for controling the temp. Because it is not expensive does not mean it is dangerous. It is just a basic light dimmer. I use them for my snake heating pads just fine. But you can also buy a proportional t-stat so you can set a temp and keep it it there. In some cases, you would need to use one over the other. But neither is a fire hazard :)

I'm just thinking outside the box. Guess who first came up with the idea of using a pig blanket for torts? I bet the old timers said "no way, i've been doing it this way and I'm not changing it! Besides, pigs are NOT tortoises!!"

Anyway, no need to get all worked up and make assumptions about my care of my animals just for discussing an idea that may or may not pan out to be a good one.

GBtortoises said:
"LOL. How do you suppose it melts snow?"

Snow begins melting at anywhere between 45-50 degrees.

Where'd you learn that factoid?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
That mat looks like it is perfect for tortoises. It is made to be walked on... Kane heat mats were no... it was made to get wet... Kane heat mats were noe. I have to wonder about the temperature but a rheostat should take care of that worry. 2'x3' is a pretty big area.

I'll probably check it out. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just to be clear: Kane is one brand name and Stansfield is another. Two separate mats made by two separate companies...Kane Mfg. Co. and Osborne Industries.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Thanks EJ... and you even spelled 'rheostat' correctly :)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Both have the caution not to submerge in water.

Both are made for warming bedded animals.

They were not made to withstand the traffic of wet boots or shoes.

emysemys said:
Just to be clear: Kane is one brand name and Stansfield is another. Two separate mats made by two separate companies...Kane Mfg. Co. and Osborne Industries.

Status
Not open for further replies.