Is a 3’x6’ tortoise table big enough for an adult Hermann’s tortoise?

• Thread starter nomylarballoons
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nomylarballoons

I’m planning on moving my 3-yo Hermann’s tortoise out of her 30 gallon tank. It’s way too small for her and I hate the glass. Right now she’s only about 5 inches long, but I’d like for her new home to be big enough for her as an adult. Ideally I’d make my tortoise table 4’x8’ or bigger, but sadly I only have room right now for 3’x6’. (I have to keep my tortoise in my tiny room because I don’t want my puppy to get anywhere near her.)
I really wish I had room for something bigger. :( Is 3'x6' big enough at least for now?

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
nomylarballoons said:
I’m planning on moving my 3-yo Hermann’s tortoise out of her 30 gallon tank. It’s way too small for her and I hate the glass. Right now she’s only about 5 inches long, but I’d like for her new home to be big enough for her as an adult. Ideally I’d make my tortoise table 4’x8’ or bigger, but sadly I only have room right now for 3’x6’. (I have to keep my tortoise in my tiny room because I don’t want my puppy to get anywhere near her.)
I really wish I had room for something bigger. :( Is 3'x6' big enough at least for now?
Hi there,
A 3'x6' will definitely accomodate a single adult Herman's. Do you have any opportunity to have an outside enclousure in the summer? That would give you the ability to have a little fun and go as large as you want for at least part of the year. Also, if you provide hiding spots and visual barriers such as bark caves, it gives the tortoise extra area to exercise by climbing. I was amazed at what capable climbers my Marginateds and Forest Hingebacks are.

If you get a chance, post some pics of your finished enclosure. It's always fun to view each other's set-ups and critters :)

Be well

Status
Not open for further replies.