New house and a glamour shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
xmuyj5.jpg

Rexann's new above ground burrow. It is South facing now to allow the sun to hit her over 2 hours sooner than the one she dug.
The circular area where the dirt was taken will be her water/mud hole in the Summer to cool down as she pleases.

n4tmi9.jpg

Orchard grass is a terrible food choice in Rexann's opinion but it makes for a lovely bed :D

2hpooxs.jpg

My pretty pretty girl basking in the sun this morning when she decided to come out of her 'storm shelter'. lol

1eb96x.jpg

And finally a size reference for those who asked. That is a can of Campbell's soup. The regular size can. She was ON.THE.MOVE. and not posing well. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm a little concerned about those bushes in the second to the last shot. It looks like oleander. Extremely toxic.

Your tortoise is beautiful! And you've done a nice job on the hiding place.

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
She's a very lucky girl.

If it IS oleander, perhaps you could fence it off? And is it only white oleander that is toxic? Or is that an old wife's tale?

I grew up with a ton of backyard oleander and none of our omnivores ever touched the stuff.

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Arizona
RianSeeking said:
She's a very lucky girl.

If it IS oleander, perhaps you could fence it off? And is it only white oleander that is toxic? Or is that an old wife's tale?

I grew up with a ton of backyard oleander and none of our omnivores ever touched the stuff.

Those plants ARE oleander. I am not sure if they are poisonous or not but she just likes to sit behind them and has never tried to nibble the leaves or anything. Honestly I am not that attached to them and if they are bad for her I will pull them up!!

Does anyone else know?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Oleander is deadly.. a cow can eat a few leaves and die..a friend of mine with llamas had hier gardner dump lawn clippings in thier pasture.. there was some oleander in the mix from another place... very sick llama ended up dying after lots of vet care. unsure how much it ate.
they plant it along free ways to keep deer from grazing...

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Very happy looking tortoise! I had no idea about oleander, thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.