New horsefield tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

katmk10

5 Year Member
I am getting a new tortoise and have purchased an indoor tortoise table can you let me know whats the best things to put in the tortoise table and also what do they like to eat I know they like a lot of weeds but I don't have many weeds are there any types of lettuce they like ? Thanks guys

slowpoke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
colorado springs, colorado
lets start with lighting , i use the power sun mvb 100w works great gives them the heat and uvb all in one ... substrate , you can use alot of things coco coir , tops soil , any thing that does not have any thing added to it ... food , no lettuce , full of water , you want to feed them stuff like kale calard greens or mustard greens , not to much fruit maybe once a month on the friut for a treat ... i do a kale and callard greens mix with grass hey .... just read as much as you can ... how big is your tortoise table ?

katmk10

5 Year Member
My tortoise table is a medium size not sure how big that is I think it's 40 by 30" and can you get those sort of greens from a supermarket I know you can get tortoise food but it's not very good for them ? Also decorations such as rocks and stuff for the tortoise table what is good ? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi katmk10:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Anything you put in the tortoise table will be for your own enjoyment. A tortoise doesn't care if he has decorations. He'll need a feeding tile or stone, a waterer and a couple hiding places. That's all the furniture that is "required." Anything else you want to put in there is strictly for decoration. If you are getting a baby tortoise, they know that they are prey, so they like to stay hidden. So hiding places are a must if you are getting a baby.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

katmk10

5 Year Member
Hi yeah I'm Katie from Newcastle in united kingdom thanks for the info is there anything else I need to know that is really important

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Here is a helpful site for diet/food suggestions.
http://russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm

Be sure to soak your tort daily for a few days, then 2-3x per week.
Warm side 30-35c, cool side about 20-22c. No night heat needed as torts are fine inside to 15c or a bit more, if they can bask and warm up during the day. In fact Horsfields seem to thrive if they cool off at night.

Make sure you have a hide (overturned pot, for example, submerged in substrate) on the cool and warm side.
Substrate should be about 4-6" deep, you can mound it deeper in some places, depending on the height of your table.
Make sure your sides are high enough, or the corners capped. Horsfields love to climb!

katmk10

5 Year Member
Thank you much appreciated so they like soil and aspen ? What about bark ?

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
Hi

Your very close to me I'm from Middlesbrough an I 2 have a horsefield. They r awesome.

I did have aspen for mine but found she got it in eyes alot and it caused a slight infection. I now use sphagnum moss in her hide and coco coir for the rest and I've had no problems with this

Shell

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think most people use some combination of organic topsoil (from a home/garden supply store), and/or Coir (comes in bricks at pet or garden stores and you add water to rehydrate), or cypress mulch (hard to get in some areas including UK, except pet stores where it can be expensive).
Your best bet is probably a combination of topsoil/coir, sphagnum moss also helps hold moisture in the hide as Shell mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.