New Homeana hingebacks

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all.

Got 2 female homes hingebacks last Monday. This gives me a heard of 4 females and 2 males:).
Just love this species, they are so active. When they are outside they just want to climb on everything.
2 new ones are still very shy but are eating and swimming now, they love mushrooms.
I got them both off @FLINTUS. Hi Ben they are doing very well, thank you.
Just thought I'd put photos on, however these are just of the smaller one, I'll put some on of the larger one tomorrow, she is still very shy, but moving around a lot more today, BTW @tortadise have you ever seen this species eat dried leaves, twice I've caught a couple of mine eating dried leave, and there was no slugs on them, I checked.

IMG_20150425_181131.jpg IMG_20150425_181142.jpg IMG_20150425_181147.jpg IMG_20150425_181433.jpg IMG_20150425_181556.jpg IMG_20150425_181732.jpg IMG_20150425_181103.jpg IMG_20150425_181117.jpg

Killerrookie

So beautiful and very unique creatures. You just got to love their cool looking shells and face!!

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Glad they're doing well.
As I said before, these guys seem to prefer eating more greenery in comparison to most of the other hinges I've encountered. Might've got the dried leaf habit when they were here as I use them in most of my enclosures, but I'm afraid to say that I didn't notice them eating them-you're more observant than me lol. Surprised by the mushrooms, weren't such a big fan as some of the erosas with them with me.
And yes they like their baths lol.
If you've tried to contact me through my phone, the reason why I might not have responded is due to my phone errr... 'malfunctioning' to put it simply.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Glad they're doing well.
As I said before, these guys seem to prefer eating more greenery in comparison to most of the other hinges I've encountered. Might've got the dried leaf habit when they were here as I use them in most of my enclosures, but I'm afraid to say that I didn't notice them eating them-you're more observant than me lol. Surprised by the mushrooms, weren't such a big fan as some of the erosas with them with me.
And yes they like their baths lol.
If you've tried to contact me through my phone, the reason why I might not have responded is due to my phone errr... 'malfunctioning' to put it simply.
They love the mushrooms, not so much with worms and slugs, My other 4 love worms and slugs, but I new this is what the last owner was feeding them. I'll just keep variety going in and see what happens, all 6 love papaya(damn, not a cheep fruit). My mum grows passion fruit, I read somewhere that hinges like this. I'll try some this year, if so, start growing it. I'll keep in touch and hopefully see you later in the year.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Yeah they weren't as big fans of live food.
Was I responsible for your massive papaya budget now factored into your weekly shop? Think I might've been the one that encouraged that-if so, sorry lol..
They have a taste for the expensive fruits-same with lychees, sharon fruit, and mango. Haven't tried my guys on passion fruit yet, not sure about the seeds with them tbh.
You said late August/September right? Let me know closer to the time, I've got a few things going on either side of a week or so of quieteness, but hopefully will see you then.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks for posting, Craig.
It's great to see such terrific photos of what , to me, is a more unusual species.
More please!

Zoey1969

UK
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I live in Gloucestershire.

I originally bought two Homeana in November 1998. The male, Samson, was ridiculously shy, but doted on the big brave female, Delilah.

In August 2000, I was lucky enough to hatch an egg, Gabby, but shortly after Delilah drowned after I stupidly put their water trough in a corner. I was so upset, but not as upset as Samson, who pined away and never came out of his shell again. I felt so guilty :-(

I still have Gabby and have spent years scouring the internet for UK breeders, to no avail!!

Last year I saw an add for 'hingebacks' and to be honest after a three hour drive and getting lost, the hingebacks were a mixed bunch, and it all seemed a bit dodgy. All looked wild caught, but the guy said they were long term captive.... one small male was definitely Homeana and one larger one I also studied, but was thinking it may be Erosa. I bought the two, and justified it by telling myself that I was rescuing them from a sad life in a big plastic tub with about 15 Bells.

Anyways, a year on Mr Nelson is definitely a male Homeana and Ida is a male Erosa, I tried to introduce them to Gabby this year, but she doesn't really seem to like either of them so I occasionally put her in the outdoor pen with Mr Nelson when it's hot enough.

Live and learn!!!!

Here's Gabby....

Attachments

• Gabby.jpg
    Gabby.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 26

Zoey1969

UK
Hi. Yes we are as rare as the torts are. Lol. Welcome. What torts you got. Where in the UK are you at ? :D

OMG Lol!! That is true!

I have a male Homeana (wc?) and my cb female, a male Erosa (wc?) But I also have: 6 male hermanni boetgerri, 6 female (all in different groups), 6 female hemanni hercegovinensis , 2 male, 1 hatchling (so far) , 3 female cross herc/boetgerri. 2 female three toed box turtles,and 2 male, 2 male leopards, 2 female, 3 female redfoots, 2 male, 3 juveniles, 1 juvenile yellowfoot, 2 male pancakes, 1 female, 1 red eared slider, ... I think that's everyone!!!

Cheers for the lovely welcome!

Zoey

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

I originally bought two Homeana in November 1998. The male, Samson, was ridiculously shy, but doted on the big brave female, Delilah.

In August 2000, I was lucky enough to hatch an egg, Gabby, but shortly after Delilah drowned after I stupidly put their water trough in a corner. I was so upset, but not as upset as Samson, who pined away and never came out of his shell again. I felt so guilty :-(

I still have Gabby and have spent years scouring the internet for UK breeders, to no avail!!

Last year I saw an add for 'hingebacks' and to be honest after a three hour drive and getting lost, the hingebacks were a mixed bunch, and it all seemed a bit dodgy. All looked wild caught, but the guy said they were long term captive.... one small male was definitely Homeana and one larger one I also studied, but was thinking it may be Erosa. I bought the two, and justified it by telling myself that I was rescuing them from a sad life in a big plastic tub with about 15 Bells.

Anyways, a year on Mr Nelson is definitely a male Homeana and Ida is a male Erosa, I tried to introduce them to Gabby this year, but she doesn't really seem to like either of them so I occasionally put her in the outdoor pen with Mr Nelson when it's hot enough.

Live and learn!!!!

Here's Gabby....
I saw those hinges up for sale. All crammed in. Sad about your hinge. I found one of mine upside down in the water a while back. Had to move the water bath. I was lucky.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
OMG Lol!! That is true!

I have a male Homeana (wc?) and my cb female, a male Erosa (wc?) But I also have: 6 male hermanni boetgerri, 6 female (all in different groups), 6 female hemanni hercegovinensis , 2 male, 1 hatchling (so far) , 3 female cross herc/boetgerri. 2 female three toed box turtles,and 2 male, 2 male leopards, 2 female, 3 female redfoots, 2 male, 3 juveniles, 1 juvenile yellowfoot, 2 male pancakes, 1 female, 1 red eared slider, ... I think that's everyone!!!

Zoey
Are you sure thats them all. Lol. Wow you must be busy feeding the five thousand every day. Love to see some photos when you get the chance. Think you will love it on this forum. All very nice people and some top end experts with advice. I have a feeling you will get many questions with the vast veriaty you have. Very interesting. I have 4 homeana eggs on the go now. See what happens. Can you remember exactly what you did to hatch out your homeana. Welcome again.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
OMG Lol!! That is true!

Zoey
Are you sure thats them all. Lol. Wow you must be busy feeding the five thousand every day. Love to see some photos when you get the chance. Think you will love it on this forum. All very nice people and some top end experts with advice. I have a feeling you will get many questions with the vast veriaty you have. Very interesting. I have 4 homeana eggs on the go now. See what happens. Can you remember exactly what you did to hatch out your homeana. Welcome again.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Live and learn!!!!

Here's Gabby....

Live and learn!!!!

Here's Gabby....
Only just notice photo of Gabby. She's gorgeous. How big is she now.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
OMG Lol!! That is true!

Zoey
Ours is a bit more simple than yours. We have 6 adult homeana. 3 juvenile redfoots, 7 adult redfoot. And recently we've just adopted about 50 fruit flies.:D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
OMG Lol!! That is true!

Zoey
Crikey!
You could be Tortoise Forum on your own!

Zoey1969

UK
I saw those hinges up for sale. All crammed in. Sad about your hinge. I found one of mine upside down in the water a while back. Had to move the water bath. I was lucky.

Yeah that was lucky, they love water, but also climbing :-(

I really wished I hadn't been to see those Hinges, really quite distressing.

Zoey1969

UK
Ours is a bit more simple than yours. We have 6 adult homeana. 3 juvenile redfoots, 7 adult redfoot. And recently we've just adopted about 50 fruit flies.:D

Don't talk to me about fruit flies!!!!