Kinixys Homeana videos and photo's

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
@Will. We’ve talked before about how my adults and previous Homeana hatchlings eat a very high proportion of protein (worms,slugs,snails and woodlice), and very rarely eat greens.
I was considering trying to see if I can get this one to eat greens from the off by only offering greens, to see if it was my bad why they turn greens down.
Do you think that’s dicing with death?
What would you feed this guy?

I think it should work to make greens part of the diet. Snails for the most part have 'greens' in their gut. All baby tortoise seem to gravitate to poop, so that depending on the source will be high in greens. But all to what end, just to see if you are steering then to a too high a protein diet?

I don't yet have any baby erosa (eggs cooking) yet and will lean heavy on this thread for that help. I'd try lettuce butts ground up, that can be pulpy and small a worm into it? I don't have a experiential basis to answer, just speculation.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
@Will. We’ve talked before about how my adults and previous Homeana hatchlings eat a very high proportion of protein (worms,slugs,snails and woodlice), and very rarely eat greens.
I was considering trying to see if I can get this one to eat greens from the off by only offering greens, to see if it was my bad why they turn greens down.
Do you think that’s dicing with death?
What would you feed this guy?

Kinixys homeana eat essentially mushrooms, bugs, worms, carrion and fruits in the wild and some plant material. There's a great paper on this species' ecology and life history that I have- can we upload PDF's to this site?

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
I think it should work to make greens part of the diet. Snails for the most part have 'greens' in their gut. All baby tortoise seem to gravitate to poop, so that depending on the source will be high in greens. But all to what end, just to see if you are steering then to a too high a protein diet?

I don't yet have any baby erosa (eggs cooking) yet and will lean heavy on this thread for that help. I'd try lettuce butts ground up, that can be pulpy and small a worm into it? I don't have a experiential basis to answer, just speculation.

Fingers crossed for those Erosa eggs will!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Kinixys homeana eat essentially mushrooms, bugs, worms, carrion and fruits in the wild and some plant material. There's a great paper on this species' ecology and life history that I have- can we upload PDF's to this site?
Yes. Please upload it, and the diet you describe is my exact diet. Very very rarely do they eat greens. In fact I’ve never seen some of them eat greens at all in 3 yrs.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Cheers will, I’ll try a mush of greens with worms and a bit of veg.
Yes, I want to find out if I’ve created the very high protein situation or if it’s the natural diet for this species.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
Yes. Please upload it, and the diet you describe is my exact diet. Very very rarely do they eat greens. In fact I’ve never seen some of them eat greens at all in 3 yrs.
I have created a new topic where I have placed three scientific articles that detail the ecology of each of the west African dwelling hingebacks- Homeana, Erosa, and Nogueyi. Not light reading but an absolute WEALTH of information.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I did 14 in 2016. Never bothered incubating in 2017. This yr I just put 5 eggs to one side because I wasn’t sure how long they had been in the ground. Only this one hatched up to now.
My group are sexually active right now. Not sure whether to purposely incubate or not when they lay.
Got 3 females that lay 3 to 4 clutches per yr. clutch sizes are 2 to 4 eggs.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
I did 14 in 2016. Never bothered incubating in 2017. This yr I just put 5 eggs to one side because I wasn’t sure how long they had been in the ground. Only this one hatched up to now.
My group are sexually active right now. Not sure whether to purposely incubate or not when they lay.
Got 3 females that lay 3 to 4 clutches per yr. clutch sizes are 2 to 4 eggs.
Very interesting- I'm hoping to one day acquire some CB homeana and breed them. Several people are working with them here in the U.S. Must not be much demand in UK if you're not incubating?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Very interesting- I'm hoping to one day acquire some CB homeana and breed them. Several people are working with them here in the U.S. Must not be much demand in UK if you're not incubating?
I have a friend in Germany who wants me to breed them, so maybe I will. Not much demand in UK.