New Hermanns, how's he look?

rednerite

Hi all, this is my second post! Here is my Hermanns hatchling today, almost one week after arriving. Any thoughts on how he looks?

Should I be weighing him daily on my gram scale? Is slow/steady growth expected each day or will they stay the same, or regress some days? Should I be measuring his shell length every day now, or once a week, a month?

Just want to make sure I do everything I can to monitor his health and growth so nothing goes wrong!
Mr Tortoise.jpg

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
His eyes look like they might be a bit puffy to me...what kinds of lights are you using?

rednerite

I am using Zoo Med's PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts. I have it suspended about 16 inches above substrate.

He was blinking a little while taking photos, but if his eyes are puffy would that mean the lighting is too bright/strong? Should I change the bulb, or take him to a vet? I was going to take him in a month anyways for a wellness but if he looks sick I would bring him sooner!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Hm, normally I would suspect a coil bulb, but since that isn't the case...

I would just give him some good soaks for the next few days. Is he eating well, active, etc.?

Who knows, maybe I'm just seeing things.

rednerite

Yes, he is a little piggy! I was thinking about naming him Hippo like Hungry Hungry Hippos actually. He has been very active running all around his enclosure and climbing things.

I had him outside this afternoon for about 45 minutes with the real sun and he had a blast climbing all over everything in his outdoor hangout. I will soak him for longer each day and see how his eyes look. I will also try to get another photo to post, closer to his eyes for a better look.

Thanks!

rednerite

Here's a pic, I just put him in for a soak right now and snapped a pic of his eyes. WP_20140707_009.jpg

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
It looks better to me here than in the other pic. Maybe it was just the picture. Extra soaks won't hurt him though. :)