New here & to Torts, I brought home a sick hatchling Hermann from my Grandson

Sabrina8797

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Update on Leo, my Grandson's sick baby Hermann: Despite all of your wonderful help/advise and effort on my part, I'm sorry to say that Leo didn't make it. He continued to get weaker and weaker. I sure hated to lose that fight. I never give up, I only wish I had found you folks earlier. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to help. Everyone's time is valuable and I appreciate you sharing your time with me. With that all said... I'm undecided as to what to do next. I have everything in place for a tortoise and am still debating getting another one. So now a couple of question that direction... How do you all feel about the Hermann breed for a beginner, TELL ME where is the BEST place to purchase one and the best age to purchase. I've now read that a hatchling may not be the way to go? Or maybe it was just the place I bought my hatchling was the problem...

TortoiseRacket

New York
Update on Leo, my Grandson's sick baby Hermann: Despite all of your wonderful help/advise and effort on my part, I'm sorry to say that Leo didn't make it. He continued to get weaker and weaker. I sure hated to lose that fight. I never give up, I only wish I had found you folks earlier. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to help. Everyone's time is valuable and I appreciate you sharing your time with me. With that all said... I'm undecided as to what to do next. I have everything in place for a tortoise and am still debating getting another one. So now a couple of question that direction... How do you all feel about the Hermann breed for a beginner, TELL ME where is the BEST place to purchase one and the best age to purchase. I've now read that a hatchling may not be the way to go? Or maybe it was just the place I bought my hatchling was the problem...
I’m so sorry! :( Pease don’t blame yourself, it wasn’t your fault, and you did your best to save him. Herman’s tortoises are great beginner tortoises, along with Russians, Greeks, and redfoots. There are many breeders here, tortoise supply is a good breeder. I’d you don’t plan on getting one ASAP, check out the adoptions page for tortoises. They are usually well started and are cheaper than breeders. I’m so sad and sorry! :(

Best,

Mickey

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
So sorry he did not make it. You are in the right place now for when you get another one. Don’t give up on tortoises. They are wonderful pets. Try one of our breeders here. You can not go wrong with that. Our experienced breeders do it right and you will most likely get a well started, healthy baby.

Sabrina8797

Illinois
So sorry he did not make it. You are in the right place now for when you get another one. Don’t give up on tortoises. They are wonderful pets. Try one of our breeders here. You can not go wrong with that. Our experienced breeders do it right and you will most likely get a well started, healthy baby.
Thanks Cheryl! I was so sad to lose the little guy... I still haven't told my Grandson, he will be heartbroken. I was just reading that breeders on here may be the way to go.

Sabrina8797

Illinois
I’m so sorry! :( Pease don’t blame yourself, it wasn’t your fault, and you did your best to save him. Herman’s tortoises are great beginner tortoises, along with Russians, Greeks, and redfoots. There are many breeders here, tortoise supply is a good breeder. I’d you don’t plan on getting one ASAP, check out the adoptions page for tortoises. They are usually well started and are cheaper than breeders. I’m so sad and sorry! :(

Best,

Mickey
Thanks Mickey for the condolences, and recommendations on breeds!

Chasen

Galveston
Sorry for the loss.. His legacy will be the knowledge you gained as a result of his illness. When you're ready, you should definitely get your next one from a breeder on here. That combined with the plethora of information and network of support, you can't go wrong.

Sabrina8797

Illinois
Sorry for the loss.. His legacy will be the knowledge you gained as a result of his illness. When you're ready, you should definitely get your next one from a breeder on here. That combined with the plethora of information and network of support, you can't go wrong.
I never thought of his legacy being the knowledge I gained. I love that thought, and so true. I'm convinced if I decide to give it another go, I will be using a breed from this site. Thank You.

TortoiseRacket

New York
I never thought of his legacy being the knowledge I gained. I love that thought, and so true. I'm convinced if I decide to give it another go, I will be using a breed from this site. Thank You.
If my Russian tortoises ever produce babies I’ll let you know :D

Tortuga Girl

Wimberley
Hi, My name is Vicki and I have a tortoise sanctuary. I am often brought sick or dying tortoises that have stopped eating and pooping for months and I have had great success with a powder called vitamineral green for humans ( you can purchase on amazon) and canned organic pumpkin. I mix 1/4 teaspoon of the vitamineral green and a table spoon of pumpkin and add enough water to make it liquid.Then I take a deep spoon and hold it under the tortoises chin. I try to pour it into the tortoises mouth and eventually it will take a gulp. It take tons of patience and sometimes out of two 30 minute sessions a day for a week I will only get the tort to take one or two gulps but don't give up. Once you get several in him he will begin to eat and poop. I k now this sounds crazy but I joined this forum so I could share this. It works