New here, need help!

JackNDaniels

Hi guys, I'm new here and would love some help finding out what breed and gender tortoise I have rescued at very short notice. It really wasn't possible to be better prepared, the poor thing was being neglected by a cousin so we've brought it home.
I'm in the UK.
My best guess is a female Herman as I can see 5 toes and the tail seems stubby.
I'm worried as I don't know what constitutes Pyramidding.. The beak seems a little long.
What do I need to get from the supermarket? Kale.. cabbage.. rocket, I have calcium dust.
Thanks so much!

20141204_195049.jpg 20141204_195041.jpg 20141204_194748.jpg 20141204_194709.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Welcome!! I cannot help you with the ID of your rescue but I bet he would love a nice warm soak in a small container to help hydrate. I'm sure the experts will be along soon, but dark leafy greens would be a good start. No cabbage. Check out the enclosure section and I'm sure you can set something up temporarily in a huge plastic bin and heat until you can get him sorted. He was lucky to find you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jack, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't know...that looks like an awfully big tail for a female. I'm not good at I.D.ing the Testudos, but I'm going to say Hermanni. And yes, the beak is a little long. You can just clip off that little bit in front with a nail clipper.

If you don't have access to broad-leaf plants and weeds from outside, then you can use the rocket salads. Quite a few folks in the UK also us the Komodo Dragon pellets for tortoises when fresh greens and weeds aren't available.