New here! do torts eat flower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirturtle

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

wanna ask if star torts is able to consume flower. and if consumable, which type of flowers? and if there is any nutritional value. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Squitturtle:

527934k6934zdcc0.gif

The blossoms of almost every fruit tree are edible, most herb flowers, fushia, sorrel, gladiolas, English daisy, day lilies, dandelion...to name just a few.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
There is a long list of edible flowers as Yvonne pointed out. Roses, Marigold and Nasturtiums are common ornamental flowers that can be used as well as Opuntia blooms.
Do a Google for edible flowers and you may be surpised at the amount of edible flora that is readily available.

samstar

5 Year Member
zenchew said:
samstar said:

hi samstar,

saw ur email..
yup i tink we came from the same place...
=)

samstar said:

btw samstar, where do u find hibiscus in our country?

can they also eat chrysanthemum flower?

Not sure about chrysantemum but I pick the hibiscus from peoples houses, 'Dont try that at home'

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
With any tort food, but very especially flowers, you need to make sure it is chemical free. Flowers are more dangerous as because people and nurseries grow them not for food, they will use even more chemicals like fertilizers and pesticides. Tortoises can be sensitive to chemicals. I try my hardest to only buy and grow organic for my tort.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't speak for stars, but my DT, russians, and sulc love hibiscus flowers. it is like tortoise crack.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Just wash whatever you are going to feed, flower or not... But I am sure you know that. But it doesn't hurt to reiterate the obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.