New guy sayin hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonstalker

5 Year Member
Hey everyone. Just got my first sulcata tortoise. I'm not new to keeping reptiles but new to sulcatas. I'm excited to have a good source of experienced people with reliable information and having a place to show off pictures with other enthusiasts.:tort:
Here is a pic of my first attempt at a set up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 61

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* :D Took me a minute to see him in there. :D Everybody will come in here and give you ideas and suggestions, it's what we do please do not take it personally. :D My first suggestion is to bury the waterbowl down into the substrate so it's even with it. I do wonder if it is a little to deep for him though? Where does the water come up to one his shell and can he easily climb in and out of it? The substrate is looking a bit dry to me, is it? What are the temps and humidity like in there? Might want to take one of those hides (like the one under the light) and making it into a humid hide. You can do that by just placing long strand sphagnum moss in there and keeping it damp. By being under the light it should hopefully stay warm (depends on what temps those lights are sitting at and what you use at night for heat). What's on his menu?

You said you have or have had other reptiles, may I ask what they were?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) your first attempt isn't bad. I agree with Jacqui on the few tweaks. At the bottom of my post are great threads for raising a sulcata. They are Toms, a forum member. The leopard thread will apply also.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I agree with the above! You did a nice jon.
Reading the suggested threads will give you valuable information.
Are you really a stalker? :p. I'm teasing. I could not help myself! :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum!

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello and welcome to TFO!! your enclosure is looking nice and your tort's really cute :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...yes, its true....what is your humidity at? I would suggest covering the top of your enclosure to keep the moisture in. 80-90% is ideal...you need 3 different temps...100-110* for basking...90-95* for warm...and 80* for ambient temp....with that said, never let your temps fall below 80* you will end up with a sick tort. There are lots of places to find information, Tom has written a good care sheet that lots of here on the forum go by. It has worked for many of us without fail. Click the links below my signature.... The tortoiselibrary.com is a good site to name a couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.