New Guy from SoCal here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travlnwood

5 Year Member
Hi all, I'm Brad from North County San Diego. I've been considering a Sulcata or Leopard tortoise for quite some time now. As I've researched them, it's become pretty apparent that contacting a local rescue is the right thing to do rather than purchasing? Does anyone have experience in this that would like to share-it's kind of intimidating when I read the "requirements" for adoption from a couple of the rescues. Thanks for any feedback.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
If you want a sulcata contact your local chapter of the CTTC. That stands for California turtle and Tortoise Club.
They always have sulcata's needing homes. And if you meet the requirements (basic sulcata owner must haves) you get to adopt one with no adoption fee!

Leopards are harder to come by and more expensive but you can tell the CTTC you are considering that too.

Welcome and good luck!

What requirements intimidate you? If you share your concerns here, we can give you real life examples :)

I don't have sulcata first hand experience but i do have leopard!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is nothing wrong with buying one or finding one on Craigslist. I would never get one from a rescue that made me sign contracts and submit to home inspections and high "adoption fees". There are good rescues out there who are really looking to put tortoises into good homes. Try and find one of those, but you should not feel the least bit of guilt for buying one. The sulcata "problem" is greatly exaggerated in my opinion. I posted a big male for adoption a couple of weeks ago and had 5 offers within days, for example. He was adopted by the first person who contacted me, which was within minutes of posting.

Travlnwood

5 Year Member
Thanks Heather, I appreciate your feedback. It's the thought that somebody might come to my home to "qualify" me that is intimidating.
Team Gomberg said:
If you want a sulcata contact your local chapter of the CTTC. That stands for California turtle and Tortoise Club.
They always have sulcata's needing homes. And if you meet the requirements (basic sulcata owner must haves) you get to adopt one with no adoption fee!

Leopards are harder to come by and more expensive but you can tell the CTTC you are considering that too.

Welcome and good luck!

What requirements intimidate you? If you share your concerns here, we can give you real life examples :)

I don't have sulcata first hand experience but i do have leopard!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Btw, my leopards are harder to come by comment was in reference to finding them available through CTTC adoptions.

There are plenty who sell them as hatchlings.

They cost more than sulcata but it's worth it imo ;)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Welcome!!! The CTTC always has sulcatas available. I would personally adopt one from them. They will probably do a yard check (which I think is good) and the only thing you have to agree to is that you will give the tortoise back to them if you no longer want it. (At least the chapter I attend does this.) Good luck!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: New Guy from SoCal here!

kimber_lee_314 said:
Welcome!!! The CTTC always has sulcatas available. I would personally adopt one from them. They will probably do a yard check (which I think is good) and the only thing you have to agree to is that you will give the tortoise back to them if you no longer want it. (At least the chapter I attend does this.) Good luck!

Yes! I think our chapter is the best ;)

Travlnwood

5 Year Member
Do you find leopards to be as social as Sulcata? I appreciate your opinion-that's what these sites are for.
Team Gomberg said:
Btw, my leopards are harder to come by comment was in reference to finding them available through CTTC adoptions.

There are plenty who sell them as hatchlings.

They cost more than sulcata but it's worth it imo ;)

Travlnwood

5 Year Member
What chapter do you belong to?
Team Gomberg said:
kimber_lee_314 said:

Yes! I think our chapter is the best ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Travlnwood said:
Do you find leopards to be as social as Sulcata? I appreciate your opinion-that's what these sites are for.

This has been debated here several times. There are some very personable leopards out there for sure, but in general, sulcatas tend to be much more outgoing and personable. All of them are a bit shy as babies, but most sulcatas will make you trip and fall anytime you are doing anything in their enclosure. I consider them to be the most "friendly" personable outgoing species of all. Just know that sulcatas dig and tend to be very destructive in a normal backyard type setting, where a leopard is not destructive at all and they don't dig unless its a female laying eggs.

The perfect compromise, in my opinion, is the South African leopard. Very sulcata like in personality, but they don't burrow. They get a little bigger than a normal leopard, but can still be carried by one person, in stark contrast to a 150 pound male sulcata.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome Brad! Did you happen to get a gorgeous baby from DeanS? If so your so lucky!

Travlnwood

5 Year Member
Momof4 said:
Welcome Brad! Did you happen to get a gorgeous baby from DeanS? If so your so lucky!

I did! And I don't feel worthy based on everything I've now read, seen and heard about both Dean and Snowflake. Gosh, she's a legend here in the forum.
So, I'm preparing for her arrival on Friday. I believe that there aren't any accidents in life-everything for a reason. I can't wait to discover the reason Snowflake is coming here to live with me.

Travlnwood

5 Year Member
I promise I will. Tom, Dean spoke very highly of you. I've read all of your threads and can't wait to put them into action.

Status
Not open for further replies.