Hello from North San Diego!

Josh Gibbs

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Hey All -

My name is Josh and my family and I live in North San Diego County, Inland. We recently adopted a ± 13 yr old male Sulcata from the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society named Mack, and he is completely awesome! We've had him a week now. He's got the run of the yard when we let him roam (supervised), but we mostly keep him in his pen while we're away or at work. We've been feeding him mostly stuff from around the house - common/local weeds & grass, hibiscus & rose leaves, cactus, agave, and aloe. Once over the week I added in some kale, Mazuri, hibiscus and rose flowers. I bought a bail of green orchard hay and put some in for him, but he hasn't seemed to touch it. He's got a large, clay plant saucer for water that I keep filled and cleaned, but I've never seen him drink. He's soiled it a couple times, so I assume he's using it.

Anyways, this seems like an amazing forum and resource, so I'm sure I'll be checking in with questions I can't find answers to. So far this forum seems to have covered them all! Thanks for such a great place to research.

Here are some pics of the studly Mack!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Josh. Take a shovel and dig out the dirt in a circle so you can recess that plant saucer down into the ground. . . or better yet, get something bigger so he can fit his whole body into it. I use the lid off a garbage dumpster:

Dudley's waterer 3-12-14.jpg

RobinRae

ENCINITAS
Hey All -

My name is Josh and my family and I live in North San Diego County, Inland. We recently adopted a ± 13 yr old male Sulcata from the San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society named Mack, and he is completely awesome! We've had him a week now. He's got the run of the yard when we let him roam (supervised), but we mostly keep him in his pen while we're away or at work. We've been feeding him mostly stuff from around the house - common/local weeds & grass, hibiscus & rose leaves, cactus, agave, and aloe. Once over the week I added in some kale, Mazuri, hibiscus and rose flowers. I bought a bail of green orchard hay and put some in for him, but he hasn't seemed to touch it. He's got a large, clay plant saucer for water that I keep filled and cleaned, but I've never seen him drink. He's soiled it a couple times, so I assume he's using it.

Anyways, this seems like an amazing forum and resource, so I'm sure I'll be checking in with questions I can't find answers to. So far this forum seems to have covered them all! Thanks for such a great place to research.

Here are some pics of the studly Mack!

So beautiful!! I'm an Encinitas and I just adopted one as well from the same place. What do you do when it's cold outside in the spring and they stop moving and eating? Do you ever bring them inside?