New Greeks and Home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dielawn

5 Year Member
Gizmo and Cosmo were introduced to their new home a few hours ago! Here is their new Tort Table! They have been running around and exploring for about 3 hours now and it seems every 15 minutes they take a Nom nom break! I think i am just as excited as they are! A basking rock and another hide spot is to come but it will do for tonight! Also does anyone know if mild mesculin mix plants are bad? Im pretty sure its just a basic green... I can't seem to find any info on the plant other than its common in humans salads.

24e2gzt.jpg

nq2pgx.jpg

117zj1f.jpg

20sf2h1.jpg

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Really nice set up! That will suit them for years to come.
You might want to add a few flat stones for them to walk across and bask on top of. This will help to keep their nails worn down and provide a variation in footing for their leg muscle development.

S

stells

Really nice enclosure...

The strip light is that UV or just extra lighting?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What a cute set-up! I especially like the side "windows" so you can watch them from the comfort of a chair. ;)

Do they not try to walk through the glass? :p

Congratulations on having happy, hungry babies. :D

dielawn

5 Year Member
They little guys seem to love their new house. It seems Gizmo(the larger one) has been looking through the glass trying to figure out how to get to me =) But he does it for a little bit and goes back to eating. The plexi glass along the edges has been sanded down to make sure they can't hurt themselves. I feel if it becomes and issue which so far it hasn't, I can make temporary card board cut out to fill the glass up from the outside. I can always remove them when I want to see in. But so far it seems they are very happy. They have been chomping on the muscalin mix I have in there. I don't think its going to last much longer =)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Pacing in front of glass isn't unusual. It's likely due to the fact that in nature tortoises don't have clear barriers. They don't grasp the concept of not being able to get to what they see ahead of them. In most cases they will eventually settle down and accept it. Some tortoises however, never seem to give up, to the point of being obsessed with pacing in front of the glass. That's definitely when you might want to add a dark barrier in order to calm them down so that they can then carry on normal behavior.

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
What a fabulous home for them~ they are super cute! It's fun to watch them discover all the cool stuff you have designed for them ~ Thanks for sharing! :)

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
GBtortoises said:
Pacing in front of glass isn't unusual. It's likely due to the fact that in nature tortoises don't have clear barriers. They don't grasp the concept of not being able to get to what they see ahead of them.

Bat your eyes at the window tinting guys or simply ask for a strip of whatever they give you. That'll be enough to show the Torts that there is something there.

Cut to size. Spray the glass with windex and apply, squeegee the bubbles out, dab with a cloth and your done.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
Great looking babies. Mine are just over a year old. I just got a kitchen scale, and I weigh them once a week. This help me monitor their growth, and it's fun to be able to measure their growth. Good luck!
John

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
FYI- I paid $10 each for my Flagstone stepping stones at the nursery. They really hold the heat long after the lights are off and the kids enjoy basking on them.

I use a paint brush to keep the stones clear of the mulch. The piglets really know how to mess up a tidy cage.

dielawn

5 Year Member
Also Just a side note now that this post has been up for awhile, the greeks do not have a problem with the glass and seem very calm and content with their enclosure. They are not stressed by the plexi at all and have adapted very well. I will say that my larger greek(gizmo) he is (looking to be a she so far) a freak of nature...He/she is sooo big compared to Cosmo(she also i think) Cosmo has grown very little compared to gizmo but they both are very healthy. One is a runt and the other is a freak of nature. Very cute though and they are still getting along very well. Just an FYI update. Thanks Greek Geeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.