New from UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrymorello

5 Year Member
New tort mum from UK!

Hi all,

I'm a first time tort mum to two Ibera hatchlings. They join a gang of rescue waifs & strays here already, the first two pets that were actually bought for me from a breeder. I've always wanted a tortoise & was given the go ahead for my birthday! I have new mum anxiety at the mo that I'm doing too much/too little & I've become aware that it doesn't seem common to have hatchlings this young (they're three months old) but... I've done extensive research and they seem like they're doing well, lovely firm shells, beady little eyes & voracious appetites. Ive become a tortoise bore.. Googling weeds and tortoise poo descriptions! I'll try & put a pic up...

Cherrymorello

5 Year Member
Hi I'm a first time tortoise person, mum to two hatchling Ibera babies. I think I'm suffering from new mum anxiety & I'm constantly worried I'm doing too much/too little. I don't know how these tiny things can survive in the wild, they look so vulnerable! Anyway, hopefully with time I'll get more confident. They're bright eyed & feeding well. The only real inconsistent advice I keep finding is on heating? I'm so confused on what to do at night. Surely in the wild the temp would drop pretty low? Ah.. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions! Nice to meet you all!

Attachments

• image-3471589443.png
    image-3471589443.png
    625.2 KB · Views: 26

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: New tort mum from UK!

Hi Cherrymorello:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Those are very nice! Welcome!! We are so very happy to have you joining us. So what other animals are in the gang? :tort:

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Welcome :)

Can we ask your name and where abouts in the Uk you are?

Lovely looking tortoises.
I'm going to ask the same as Jacqui though, who else is in the gang?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Welcome.........im in blackburn northwest uk what about you?
I turn tiagos heat off at night as long as your house is about room temp etc they can withstand temps under 50*f this does not meen you should make him cold :D

Cherrymorello

5 Year Member
Hi, my name's Kerri & I'm from East Anglia. My torts join a whole gang of pets.. Two rescue dogs, a Patterdale called Sooky, a border/JRT called Chilli, two rescue bunnies, Ron & Jess, a pionus parrot Mocksie, Caique Kipling, African Grey Mickey & Blue & Gold macaw Monty (all rehomes) and a rehomed corn snake, Priscilla. Oh, and the baby Iberas are Biggie and Tupac! :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Welcome! These torts can and prefer the temp getting cooler at night. Most don't need supplemental heat unless you house is very cold. Some say down to 60 at night, but they can go cooler as long as the uvb/heat lamp comes on early so they can warm up. They like to wake up and bask to get warm before they eat. So keep one side quite warm during the day, about 95 under the light (they will position themselves closer and farther away to self regulate), and the cooler side about 70 during the day. You can keep the UVB/heat lamp on a timer and on for 12-14 hours per day (6a to 7p, for example).
Mine are outside and daytime temps have been nice, 75 to 90, but nights have gone down to 54-62.
Have you seen this site for a general care sheet (however, most of us on this site do not hibernate our torts)?
http://www.tortoise-protection-group.org.uk/site/122.asp
Also, you can do a 'search' on this site for specific questions like 'heat and Ibera', for example.
Sounds like you will do a great job.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Love the name Chilli! Your gonna have to place pictures of the gang in our various "Other Pets" areas for us all to see. ...please!

Cherrymorello

5 Year Member
It's finally sunk in these guys want it cooler in the eve, they trot off to their beds & bury down. I left for work at 7 this morning & they were up & about so I stuck the lamps on & they wanted to eat straight away! Every day I'm learning a bit more about what they want. They're amazing! Have been looking on Tlady's site which looks great. I'm obsessed with weeds! Thanks for all your welcomes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.